This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Run Terminals from a network drive or UNC

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:45 PM
Is it possible to compile Terminals so it runs from a network drive or a UNC? I use multiple machines and would like to have this available to run from \\computer_name\terminals but I it just crashes when I try this. I'm sure I read somewhere its something to do with the .net security model running from a non-local\network source but can't be certain.

For you info the error returned is "Faulting application terminals.exe, version 1.0.0.0, stamp 45b8b5cb, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3119, stamp 46239bd5, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012a5b."

Thanks in advance

Dom
Coordinator
Aug 13, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Have you considered running it from a USB drive instead of network share? This app is 100% portable!
Coordinator
Aug 13, 2007 at 4:34 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2007 at 4:35 PM
This issue cannot be resolved by compiling the application in a special way. Terminals is written in .Net and as part of built in security features of the ,Net framework you are not allowed by default to execute files from a network drive. In order to do so you need to add a trust for the specific location using .Net 2.0 configuration. You can read about it here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc(VS.80).aspx. I prefer Rob's approach.
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:48 AM
Thanks for the reply and the information, and I agree, Rob's approach is better! What would be nice though would be to be able to specify where the Terminals.config file is picked up from so you could store that on a network drive or UNC... Maybe with a parameter that could be used when launching it, something like "terminals.exe \\unc\share\terminals.config"?

Dom
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.