handling big groups

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 22, 2007 at 8:16 AM
Edited Aug 22, 2007 at 8:16 AM
hello,

I'm working in a big environment where we have 5 majors environment (production, testing 1 to 4) each env can be up to a 1000 servers (no kidding). I'm currently using RoyalTS but it is lacking some features and your tool seem very nice. But to handle such big groups, you are missing a few features (the other tool too :)):

• easy import of server list. at least the config file is XML but import server settings from CSV would be great

• you lack a clean way of handling groups (or I missed something). when you click on groups it connects to all boxes in a group. Which I would not like if I have 1000 boxes in a group. So nagivation in groups could be a nice feature to have. perhaps something like a IE favorites with folder unrolling

• in big environment you usually have an environment type ( production testing) then functionnal distinctions (like SQL server, web server, proxy...) so a one level grouping is to less. 2 level would be better and as many level as you want would be even better :)

great tool by the way. I might switch to it ;)

cheers
cTiger

ps: keyboard shortcuts to favorite boxes might be a great feature too
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2007 at 9:28 AM
Our latest sources contain Tags implementation that would replace the Groups feature (there are a lot of other features). The Tags feature should be what you are looking for since you are not limited in the number of tags you can use. Download our latest sources build from http://tools.mscorlib.com/. As for the import process, we'll do our best to write an import tool from RoyalTS.
Enjoy,
Dudu
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:48 AM
cool, it is nearly perfect. I would add:

• partial string search (regexp even): e.g. if you have multiple groups like prod-web, test-web. if you want to search web groups you can not get that because the search is only starting with the 1 letter.

• about the import tools, I was not really thinking about how to reuse my RoyalTS config file but a more generic way of importing large number of servers using a CSV list. But having a converting tool would also be a brilliant feature to facilitate the move to your great program

cheers
erik
Jul 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Has anything ever been done about a tool to import connections from Royal TS? I am ready to switch over, but I have a ton of connections!
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Can somone post a few sample config files from Royal TS  (simple and worst case).

Thanks.