This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

toolbars

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM
Love terminals! We are using 1.6d. Having a toolbar issue that has been affecting us for the last couple of versions. Often when we start the program the toolbars are not visible. In the toolbars.settings file somehow the visible property for all toolbars gets set to false - apparently when exit. The only workaround I have so far is to set the toolbars.settings file to read-only but then the program won't exit cleanly - have to kill it in the task manager. I suppose I could also create a launch batch file to delete the toolbars.settings file and replace with a backup before starting terminals. Is this a known issue? Any known fix?
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM
There was a previous build which, when you were in fullscreen mode it saved all the toolbars visibility to false when you exit the app. I wonder if you have that revision and are exiting during fullscreen mode? Have you upgraded lately? If not, give it a try. If you have let me know and I will try to dig in further.

dhostetter wrote:
Love terminals! We are using 1.6d. Having a toolbar issue that has been affecting us for the last couple of versions. Often when we start the program the toolbars are not visible. In the toolbars.settings file somehow the visible property for all toolbars gets set to false - apparently when exit. The only workaround I have so far is to set the toolbars.settings file to read-only but then the program won't exit cleanly - have to kill it in the task manager. I suppose I could also create a launch batch file to delete the toolbars.settings file and replace with a backup before starting terminals. Is this a known issue? Any known fix?

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:20 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2007 at 6:20 PM
I wanted to agree with dhostetter, I'm having the same problem as him. I go into the program the first time and it looks fine but then I close out the program and re-open it at a latter time and the toolbars are completely gone. I have had this happen twice (on different machines). I have had to go into the toolbars.settings file and re-enable all the toolbars. But when I do this since I am lazy and just do a replace all 'false' with 'true' it causes a weird box to appear on my screen. Also since there is no way to get into any of the configuration settings with out the toolbars I can't reset the settings without editing the toolbars.settings.

(I haven't gone into full screen mode at all in my testing of this app)

I have version 1.6d. I'm running a Windows Vista Enterprise with 2 GB Ram and 32-bit operating system. At home (having the same problem) running Windows Vista Ultimate with 3 GB Ram and 32-bit operating system.

I can provide screenshots of the config file and of the weird box if necessary.
Oct 31, 2007 at 8:37 PM
Yes that is exactly what we are experiencing. I believe we are using 1.6d although the about box only confirms 1.6. The file size is 1.06mb. The product version according to file properties is 1.6.0.0

When you set the toolbar visible setting manually to 'true' what seems to happen is an empty toolbar container floats outside the main program form for each one you changed. I don't remember exactly how I fixed that, I think I just unchecked the opton for each toolbar then re-checked them which I think reset the toolbar to normal docked appearance. I do not use terminals! in full screen mode.

When I get tired of killing the program task each time (due to me making the toolbar.settings read only) I'll eventually just use a batch file to overwrite the toolbar.settings with a backed up copy before running the app. That should work fine.

I'd like to suggest as a program feature to only warn on program close if the toolbar.settings file is read-only or not accessible. Currently an error is generated that stops the process of shutting down the application.

While I'm typing and off the topic I'll take this opportunity to second any past suggestion to have an option for auto-resize in addition to auto-scale such that the remote desktop resolution changes to match the window size like the mstsc.exe app does. The auto-scale is really cool and useful in some situations (better than VNC in fact). In other situations you want the scale to remain fixed but the desktop resolution to change w/ your window resize.

All in all, we do love this app, it is very helpful to people who live and die by remote desktops and consoles.
Nov 1, 2007 at 3:29 PM
Update - I re-d/l the 'wizard and glass' version dated 10/19 to be sure I am on the latest. Many times yesterday I closed and reopened the app to see if toolbars disappeared. They did not. However 1st time I open it today, no toolbars! I am not running in full screen mode - only windowed. I sure wish there was a right click option to re-select hidden toolbars!
Nov 2, 2007 at 1:51 PM
I am using XP SP2 and I also expirienced this issue couple of times. I cant replroduce this kind of bug, but here is another one.
I pinned the exe to the start menu and when I start it from there there are no toolbars. If I start it from the folder or normal shortcut it works OK. Also this does not change toolbar.settings to hidden state. It's just a glitch for the current session of terminals.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM
I think what I will do is move the menus out of the dockable toolbars. Make it static like pretty much what every other application does. You can control all other menu's with that one, so it should be fine after that.
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:44 PM
It's happening again... Using new version f. Open terminals, no toolbars at all, not even the menu. I open the toolstrip.config file and all visible settings are set to false. I change to 'true', toolbars are back again.

Here is one possibility. I usually log off windows w/ Terminals still running in system tray. Maybe something to do with windows shutdown notification to the app?

My suggestions are to nail that menu toolstrip down and also put right-click option to toggle toolbars on or off so when this happens there is a quick way to display them again.

If you want any specific testing let me know what we can do.
Dec 20, 2007 at 8:37 AM
Hi - I too have this issue. I am running Version F. How can I reset my toolbars in the meantime is there a registry setting or something?
Cheers
Jamie.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM
Hi All - Downgraded to 1.6.E and this restored my menus.

Cheers
Jamie.
Jan 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM
I am nearly positive now that this is due to shutting down or logging off windows w/ Terminals still running in the system tray. If I close Terminals first then reboot this doesn't appear to happen. I still think the menu bar should be nailed down and the right-click menu have selectors to hind/show individual tool bars.
Jan 1, 2008 at 8:12 PM
After further testing, I believe that the toolbars visible property get set to false when windows sends a shutdown command to the app. Also the position of the toolbars seems to get jacked up when the app starts.

I positioned the toolbars, did NOT close app, checked the toolstrip.settings file, noted these settings:

<ToolStripSetting>
<Name>menuStrip</Name>
<Visible>true</Visible>
<Row>0</Row>
<Dock>Top</Dock>
<Left>9</Left>
<Top>0</Top>
</ToolStripSetting>
<ToolStripSetting>
<Name>toolbarStd</Name>
<Visible>true</Visible>
<Row>0</Row>
<Dock>Top</Dock>
<Left>388</Left>
<Top>0</Top>
</ToolStripSetting>

I don't list the other toolstrips, they are not visible.

I copied toolstrip.settings to toolstrip.settings.backup

Closed application

Checked toolstrip.settings - settings listed above are still the same.

Opened the application.

Checked toolstrip.settings, settings have changed to:

<ToolStripSetting>
<Name>toolbarStd</Name>
<Visible>true</Visible>
<Row>0</Row>
<Dock>Top</Dock>
<Left>84</Left>
<Top>0</Top>
</ToolStripSetting>
<ToolStripSetting>
<Name>menuStrip</Name>
<Visible>true</Visible>
<Row>1</Row>
<Dock>Top</Dock>
<Left>3</Left>
<Top>25</Top>
</ToolStripSetting>

The other toolstrip sections are still not visible.

Also the order of the toolstrip sections got switched around.

I created a batch file to overwrite toolstrip.settings with my toolstrip.settings.backup then launch terminals.exe

This doesn't work because the toolstrips get moved around on app startup, so AFTER I re-write toolstrip.settings.

As I point out earlier, if you make toolstrip.settings read-only this prevents the changes on startup but you can't quit the application - you get pop up error about problem w/ access to toolstrip.settings and the app won't shut down.

Hope this helps!
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Bump...

I find that the toolstrip.settings file gets permutated all over my machine.  It's in the terminals program files location, it's in my docs, and it's on my desktop.  If i delete them all, it creates a new on in a random one of these 3 locations.  If one exists it uses that one, if multiple exist, it seems to pick a random one but i cannot confirm.  Is there a way to lock the location of this file similar to the .config file?  I tried just removing all security down to read-only, but it didn't make it happy.

Also to note, this REALLY got weird when i had offline files set, and the files weren't always available.  I turned that crap off because it was breaking other things, but just a note to anyone else having these troubles.

Cheers,
Chris (CapnDoody)