This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

connecting to console

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM
One of the features I really like about Royal TS is the ability to connect to Console via RDP, so that I can connect to the session on my remote server that has the keyboard and monitor is connected to it. Any thought to adding something like that?
Nov 2, 2007 at 1:52 PM
It is already implemented - when you make/edit connection on the RDP tab -> Display Settings on the bottom you can see a checkbox saying Connect to console.
Nov 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM

stoinov wrote:
It is already implemented - when you make/edit connection on the RDP tab -> Display Settings on the bottom you can see a checkbox saying Connect to console.

SWEET! Downloading now.
Nov 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM
Ok so it does support it, but you have to make the connect one or the other. In Royal TS, you can right click on the connection and choose connect or connect to console. You can also choose on the option to make connection to console the default action, But my point is, I can create one connection, and just right click it and have the option to connect to regular RDP, or to RDP to console. With Terminals I don't have the choice, I have to make it one or the other.
Nov 2, 2007 at 7:06 PM
i just create two connections for the same server and denote a "C" at the end to represent a console connection.

but it would be nice to switch seamlessly.
Nov 5, 2007 at 6:21 AM

Technically its a pretty simplistic thing to do. The biggest problem comes in how to express it via the UI. Do I pop up a dialog asking for that option? Or do is duplicate every single favorite in the menuing system and represent it somehow there? In the left hand tagged favorites tree I could always "duplicate" what Royal TS has done...

Consider making this a feature request, and lets see if it can get some votes!
Nov 15, 2007 at 5:58 PM
I haven't seen Royal, but as a possible UI implementation you could do one of the following:
- A left click to connect the default way, and a right click to have a context menu allowing you to choose console or not.
- A modifier key, such as Ctrl-Click, to do the non-default.

I would think that in either case, on each connection you should be able to specify if the console session is the default (as you can now). There are some servers I nearly always connect to the console session, but there are others I only occasionally do.

Just a thought.
Nov 16, 2007 at 5:29 PM
I've been giving this much thought as well. The majority of the connections I make are using the right-click menu. I'm thinking about adding the sub menu on each connection to do just that....
Nov 17, 2007 at 12:49 AM

Unfortunately the toolstrip menu item exposes a click event, but doesnt send the mouse event with it. I'm leaning towards using the control+click modifier on connect...