This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Log file empty for Terminals v1.9 beta

Topics: User Forum
Mar 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Hi!

I have read http://terminals.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=41133 and I do have the file Terminals.log4net.config but into the Logs subfolder the CorrentLog.txt is always zero byte!

I have "found" this because I have ONE Win2008 R2 that I cannot open with Terminals but I can open with mstsc directly... I can open other 2008 and 2008 R2 without problem... this is really strange so that's why it will be great to have more detail on any possible errors reported by Terminals into the log... :-)

Thanks,

Giangi

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Just a guess, but if the server is set to require Network level authentication on remote desktop connections, then Terminals v1.9 will fail silently (nothing in the log file).

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Uhm... good point!!

Thank you for the hint, today I can't but tomorrow I'll check it

Ciao, Giangi

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM
sgmoore wrote:

if the server is set to require Network level authentication on remote desktop connections, then Terminals v1.9 will fail silently (nothing in the log file).

That was the case! I lowered the requirement and Terminals has connected! :-)

Thank you!!

Any chance to have Terminals supporting Network Level Authentication? ...or to write the exception into the log? :-)

Ciao, Giangi

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM
GiangiRE wrote:

Any chance to have Terminals supporting Network Level Authentication? ...or to write the exception into the log? :-)

Possibly :-)

The reason I suspected this is a NLA issue, was because I had the same issue and have been playing around with the source (one of the benefits of an open-source project)

I have submitted a patch which the developers can evaluate.

Although I was displaying an error message on connection failures rather than writing an exception to the log file. This has to side-effect of displaying an error if your rdp connection drops unexpectedly, but I have been playing about with this for about a fortnight and don't find this intrusive. 

I have only one server that requires NLA, which means it is not an extensive test, so all I can say is that it works on my machine.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
sgmoore wrote:

Although I was displaying an error message on connection failures rather than writing an exception to the log file.

I vote for the error popup!! :-) Much more clear and immediate... better leave the logs for "real errors"!

Ciao, Giangi