Setup for Multiuser

Topics: User Forum
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I really enjoy the software!  One thing I am not understanding is how to setup Terminals for a multiuser environment.  We remote into a server and several admins need to remote from there to other servers.  I have it setup for me and password protected, however the other admins can not open Terminals, they are prompted for the password I setup.  It appears that there is only a common configuration.  I need to keep the individual logins and passwords separate.  Any ideas?

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Unfortunately right now this is not possible since Terminals is saving the remote machines into an XML file saved in the program directory instead of the account's %appdata% or %userprofile% directory! I have already suggested to change the location... now any users will share the same set of machines and credentials... and this is not good!

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Since Terminals is quite small and self-contained , it doesn't need to be 'installed', hence it should be possible to copy the original files to a separate directory for each admin. Not ideal, but a workaround if you want everything kept separate. 

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will try the separate directories for the each admin.

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM

So, to be clear, when you set a master password this implies that that specific instance will be used by a single user, thus we store the data into the local directory for the app.  If a master password is NOT set, then we store the data in the %appdata% folder, and the connections are shared.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I think that you mean the vice-versa!

%APPDATA% (ie: C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Roaming) points into your own profile folder so it cannot be shared!

For sharing you should use %ProgramData% (ie: C:\ProgramData) but it's not available on WinXP!

I suggest to not link the path to the master password: I do not have one but I should be able to still keep them on my own profile and not sharing them!

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Thank you for providing alternative solutions.
I am currently working on issue (nr. 31735) related to the file location.