This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Connection 'copy' command

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM

In pre 1.9 versions one could simply select the properties for a given connection, change the name of the connection, and a 'copy' of that connection was automatically created with the new name but with all the other settings identical. Suddenly in 1.9 this no longer works this way. Whether it was designed to be that way or not, this was a very handy feature. There are numerous instances where it is advantageous to have this feature. One in particular is where I maintain multiple systems for existing customers. When adding each workstation/server, all other criteria stays the same when remoting in accept the port number. It makes it MUCH more convenient when one can just simply select the properties of an existing setting and simply change this argument along with the name of the connection and BOOM! (to use a John Madden vernacular)... a duplicate is automatically created with the new name. Is there any way to bring this 'feature' back? Thanks

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Um... you still can copy connections just fine.

Go to the connection manager select and connection and click the copy button. Enter a new name and voila, you're done.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Perhaps that's my issue.  I can find no copy command anywhere.  Not in the menu, no copy button, and not in a drop down menu when selecting an existing connection.  Where is this copy command suppose to be located?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Ok... I'm getting old... I know that... however... I can see no reference to the word 'copy' anywhere in version v1.9 nor any reference to the phrase 'connection manager'.   Can someone kindly direct me to where this reference exists?  I have many connections to create that would be completed so much faster if I could use the copy capability of earlier versions. 

Thank you,

hdokes

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Select 'Organize Favorites' either from the icon on the toolbar, or from the Favorites menu

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM

I really appreciate the reply and I have found the reference you indicated however do you know just how obscure that is to find a 'copy' command in windows?  I honestly would have never found it.  Why on earth would I go to 'favorites'.... and then 'organize favorites' to find a simple copy command to copy an existing profile?  Please don't get me wrong... I really like and use your program and will donate to the cause... but exercising some adherence to simple windows convention would help many I'm sure.  Giving I always have 'favorites' open to the left column I would never exercise the favorites menu item.  Right clicking on any existing profile should offer the opportunity to copy, edit, rename, or delete.  None of these are options in this area.  Just a thought.

Thanks again for guiding me to the location of the copy command.

hdokes

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM
hdokes wrote:

Please don't get me wrong... I really like and use your program ...

Don't know if that is directed at me, but it's not my program. Not just trying to avoid taking the blame for this design decision, rather pointing out that I can't take the credit for all (or any) of the good bits in it. (I did submit a patch, but that hasn't been accepted (or rejected)).

However I would agree it is confusing, as favorites is used in a more convention manner to indicate which connections appear in the toolbar as well as to means all your connections. So it did take me a while to find the copy  when I moved to version 1.9, but I kept looking because I knew it would be there somewhere.