Logs

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Hey Guys!

Great work on this wonderful; program. I do have an issue with my logs not working. Are the logs supposed to be in the directory where Terminals is installed? I do not see any log file and also if I go the Tool|Open Log Folder it does nothing. Any clues on getting this working? I'm in the process of troubleshooting why an SSH connectionw will not work.

Thanks,

Robert

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM

The log files should be in a subfolder called logs. The Tool|Open Log folder option just tries to open this folder and will probably fail silently if it does not exist.

There should be a file in the directory where terminals.exe is, called Terminals.log4net.config which controls the logging and defines were the logs files are stored and this should be set to log to logs\CurrentLog.txt 

There is also another section like 

<root>
    <level value="ALL" />
    <appender-ref ref="RollingLogFileAppender" />
    <level value="FATAL" />
    <appender-ref ref="UdpAppender" />
  </root>

You may get some more information logged if you change the FATAL to ALL. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Thanks, it appears that the installer version did not create the “log” folder nor did it include the file “Terminals.log4net.config”. I was able to copy the file “Terminals.log4net.config” from the binaries version though. After creating the “log” files folder and copying over the “Terminals.log4net.config” file logging was working properly.

Thanks,

Robert Furman

Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:48 AM
To: rwfnetworking@cox.net
Subject: Re: Logs [Terminals:244720]

The log files should be in a subfolder called logs. The Tool|Open Log folder option just tries to open this folder and will probably fail silently if it does not exist.

There should be a file in the directory where terminals.exe is, called Terminals.log4net.config which controls the logging and defines were the logs files are stored and this should be set to log to logs\CurrentLog.txt

There is also another section like

<root>
    <level value="ALL" />
    <appender-ref ref="RollingLogFileAppender" />
    <level value="FATAL" />
    <appender-ref ref="UdpAppender" />
  </root>

You may get some more information logged if you change the FATAL to ALL. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I was affected by the same bug. Following above solved the problem. Still unsure how to enable even more logging. Changing from FATAl to ALL doesnt log enough information, such as when connecting to a RAS entry that fails.

Pete

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Was afraid of that (which is why I said  'You may get some more information logged').

Terminals uses some third party libs including one called TransPort2006.dll (which looks it comes from some company call FalafelSoftware, but I can't find much about them and can't find the source)

This is the library that handles the Ras Connections. If terminals gets an error or exception back from this library, then it would be logged, but obviously can't log anything if it gets no information back.

That unfortunately does not help much with your particular problem. The only thing I can suggest is test the connection outside terminals and also to check your event log.

PS, You can determine if you have changed the logging level correctly , because you should see a line logged when terminals started, something like

INFO  2011-02-08 11:45:14,034   944ms Terminals              Main               - Terminals 1.9a started

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM

What about this crap:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63233/Terminals/TransPort_STD_3.0.1.7.zip

When you install it is says it will create a source directory with the source (point 4 under the licence agreement i think).

Dunno what this is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63233/Terminals/Transport%2520Examples.zip

Pete

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM

You missed the next bit that says 'The source code is not provided for the evaluation, standard or Special Edition (SE) versions.' and I guess from the file name this is the standard version.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

oh. Well we have the nmame of the company and the website now. Should we try contact them?

Pete

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

i emailed them already let see if they reply.

Pete

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Just to let you know they never bothered to reply.

Pete