This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

v2.0 RC1 network tools function summary

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM

greetings ladies & gentlemen

using the latest terminals v2.0 RC1, I thought I'll give a try to the built in network tools...

first of all:

my system: win xp prof. 32bit sp3 english version with mui (german, french, italian)
                  using the german environment, and only absolute needed m$ patches installed so far

terminals itself will be started only with admin rights (not only local, but extended admin rights for connecting to servers, ts, rdp aso. within our lan too)

the network tools page has been started at the menu bar with "tools - network tools"! the (net-)tools selectable within the menu after right mouseclick on a favorite have been tested too!

my results so far:

*) PING:

doesn't work, at least not for me... regardless a valid ip address or dns name is entered in the host field only asterisks are displayed ...

terminal's log always says this:

INFO  2011-04-05 11:07:16,586 1023879ms Terminals              SendPing           -
System.Exception: A ping request is already in process. Either wait for the reply, or cancel the request first
   bei Metro.TransportLayer.Icmp.IcmpPingManager.SendPing(IPAddress destination, Byte[] payload, Boolean async, Double timeOutTime)
   bei Metro.Ping.SendPing() in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\Ping.cs:Zeile 58

>>> btw, windows cmd ping works fine!

*) TRACE ROUTE

doesn't work either, and least not for me... again with a valid ip/dns name it returns only things like this:

hostname              gateway                 roundtriptime currenthop
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  1
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  2
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  3

no according entry in terminal's log found though...

>>> windows cmd tracert do like expected, resolve ip and dns...

*) SYSTEM

works... however, for non-wmi-guys like me it's somewhat confusing that you still HAVE to add "\root\cimv2" to the machine's name, f.e."\\123.456.789.000\\root\cimv2", as the field's name suggest only to enter a ip or a dns name only... but well... ^^

*) CONNECTIONS

works... but I'm somewhat unsure about the depicted values... any help for me about this? thx!

*) INTERFACES

works, AND (tada!) I get the meaning of the values! ;)

*) WHOIS

Fails, at least in my case... tried with some different addresses, error is always the same (terminal's log):
(maybe because of our proxy and firewall solution, don't know, I'm no lan admin...)

ERROR 2011-04-05 11:47:17,617 3424909ms Terminals              Whois              - Could not connect to WhoIs Server.  Please try again later.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht ordnungsgemäß reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat 199.7.55.74:43
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
   bei Org.Mentalis.Utilities.WhoisResolver.Whois(String domain, String host) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\WhoIs\WhoisResolver.cs:Zeile 54.

*) DNS LOOKUP

Uhm, first, I'm not that familiar with the whole net functions and possibilities...

so, after entering "WWW.google.com" into the host field I crashed terminals with the following errors:

1.) a error message popup appeared with the following content (copy/pasted from the dialog):

---------------------------
Standard-Fehlerdialogfeld für DataGridView
DataGridView-Ausnahme:

System.ArgumentException: Der Wert "5" ist für die Enumeration "DnsType" ungültig.

bei System.ComponentModel.EnumConverter.ConvertTo(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value, Type destinationType)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Formatter.FormatObjectInternal(Object value, Type targetType, TypeConverter sourceConverter, TypeConverter targetConverter, String formatString, IFormatProvider formatInfo, Object formattedNullValue)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Formatter.FormatObject(Object value, Type targetType, TypeConverter sourceConverter, TypeConverter targetConverter, String formatString, IFormatProvider formatInfo, Object formattedNullValue, Object dataSourceNullValue)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.GetFormattedValue(Object value, Int32 rowIndex, DataGridViewCellStyle& cellStyle, TypeConverter valueTypeConverter, TypeConverter formattedValueTypeConverter, DataGridViewDataErrorContexts context)

Behandeln Sie das DataError-Ereignis, um dieses Standarddialogfeld zu ersetzen.
OK  

2.) a couple of errors messages appeared at terminal's log too, but since the error was handmade, I spare you with the details, because after preventing the "www." within the host name everything went fine, resolution and our dns servers also had been detected properly...

# HOWEVER #, I wasn't able to resolve any workstation-/server-names, ONLY web adresses! with any tried valid ws/srv name and any known name-combination (NAME, NAME.Domain.wan, \\NAME, ...) I got the error "could not resolve host!"

terminal's log says this:

- field host: WSNAME

INFO  2011-04-05 15:06:21,012 34735ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.
System.ArgumentException: The supplied domain name was not in the correct form
Parametername: domain
   bei Bdev.Net.Dns.Question..ctor(String domain, DnsType dnsType, DnsClass dnsClass) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNS\Question.cs:Zeile 48.
   bei Terminals.Network.DNSLookup.lookupButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNSLookup.cs:Zeile 42.

- field host: WSNAME.domain.wan

INFO  2011-04-05 15:06:43,450 57172ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Der Index war außerhalb des Arraybereichs.
   bei Terminals.Network.DNSLookup.lookupButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNSLookup.cs:Zeile 28.

- field host: \\WSNAME

INFO  2011-04-05 15:07:11,044 84767ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.
   bei Terminals.Network.DNSLookup.lookupButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNSLookup.cs:Zeile 28.

- field host: \\123.456.789.000

INFO  2011-04-05 15:07:38,154 111877ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.

>>> btw, windows cmd nslookup worked fine & like expected!

*) SHARES

works fine, no problems so far, shares are detected properly at the chosen server/workstation...

*) SERVICES

works... I guess! amount of depicted services changes when changing the server/workstation (ip or dns name), so I think it works...

*) TIME

works... at least with the default "time.nist.gov" a list of properties and the current date/time will be shown...

*) TS-ADMIN

works, tested with a couple of (auto detected?) ts within our lan from terminal's drop down list, it shows the connected clients and their affiliated infos!
also tested positive with right mouse click on a favorite...

*) WAKE ON LAN

works, tested with a couple of clients within our lan!

*) PORT SCANNER

wasn't able to get it working, lack of knowledge how to do this properly... *shrug*
(at least not crashing terminals again... ;)

*) PACKETS

works fine everything & like expected!

*) COMPUTER MANAGMENT (MMC) - after right mousclick on a favorite:

works perfect!

*) SYSTEM INFORMATION - after right mousclick on a favorite:

works perfect!

well, that's it so far... don't know if it's useful for anyone, but here ya have! ^^

if someone will emend my knowledge about proper handling terminals network tools, be my guest!

regards

Sparksman

PS: yes, I suck on english...

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Sparksman wrote:

greetings ladies & gentlemen

using the latest terminals v2.0 RC1, I thought I'll give a try to the built in network tools...

first of all:

my system: win xp prof. 32bit sp3 english version with mui (german, french, italian)
                  using the german environment, and only absolute needed m$ patches installed so far

terminals itself will be started only with admin rights (not only local, but extended admin rights for connecting to servers, ts, rdp aso. within our lan too)

the network tools page has been started at the menu bar with "tools - network tools"! the (net-)tools selectable within the menu after right mouseclick on a favorite have been tested too!

my results so far:

*) PING:

doesn't work, at least not for me... regardless a valid ip address or dns name is entered in the host field only asterisks are displayed ...

terminal's log always says this:

INFO  2011-04-05 11:07:16,586 1023879ms Terminals              SendPing           -
System.Exception: A ping request is already in process. Either wait for the reply, or cancel the request first
   bei Metro.TransportLayer.Icmp.IcmpPingManager.SendPing(IPAddress destination, Byte[] payload, Boolean async, Double timeOutTime)
   bei Metro.Ping.SendPing() in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\Ping.cs:Zeile 58

>>> btw, windows cmd ping works fine!

Are you on a wireless network connection?  Ive seen this sporadically in the past as well.

*) TRACE ROUTE

doesn't work either, and least not for me... again with a valid ip/dns name it returns only things like this:

hostname              gateway                 roundtriptime currenthop
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  1
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  2
255.255.255.255    255.255.255.255    -1                  3

no according entry in terminal's log found though...

>>> windows cmd tracert do like expected, resolve ip and dns...

I bet you its an issue with the library we are using... Will need investigation

*) SYSTEM

works... however, for non-wmi-guys like me it's somewhat confusing that you still HAVE to add "\root\cimv2" to the machine's name, f.e."\\123.456.789.000\\root\cimv2", as the field's name suggest only to enter a ip or a dns name only... but well... ^^

Good Call

FEATURE REQUEST

*) CONNECTIONS

works... but I'm somewhat unsure about the depicted values... any help for me about this? thx!

So these represent active connections to remote servers.  Like TcpView.exe from SysInternals/Microsoft.

*) INTERFACES

works, AND (tada!) I get the meaning of the values! ;)

*) WHOIS

Fails, at least in my case... tried with some different addresses, error is always the same (terminal's log):
(maybe because of our proxy and firewall solution, don't know, I'm no lan admin...)

ERROR 2011-04-05 11:47:17,617 3424909ms Terminals              Whois              - Could not connect to WhoIs Server.  Please try again later.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht ordnungsgemäß reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat 199.7.55.74:43
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
   bei Org.Mentalis.Utilities.WhoisResolver.Whois(String domain, String host) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\WhoIs\WhoisResolver.cs:Zeile 54.

Line 54 indicates that you need a domain name specified.  

*) DNS LOOKUP

Uhm, first, I'm not that familiar with the whole net functions and possibilities...

so, after entering "WWW.google.com" into the host field I crashed terminals with the following errors:

1.) a error message popup appeared with the following content (copy/pasted from the dialog):

Standard-Fehlerdialogfeld für DataGridView
DataGridView-Ausnahme:

System.ArgumentException: Der Wert "5" ist für die Enumeration "DnsType" ungültig.

bei System.ComponentModel.EnumConverter.ConvertTo(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value, Type destinationType)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Formatter.FormatObjectInternal(Object value, Type targetType, TypeConverter sourceConverter, TypeConverter targetConverter, String formatString, IFormatProvider formatInfo, Object formattedNullValue)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Formatter.FormatObject(Object value, Type targetType, TypeConverter sourceConverter, TypeConverter targetConverter, String formatString, IFormatProvider formatInfo, Object formattedNullValue, Object dataSourceNullValue)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.GetFormattedValue(Object value, Int32 rowIndex, DataGridViewCellStyle& cellStyle, TypeConverter valueTypeConverter, TypeConverter formattedValueTypeConverter, DataGridViewDataErrorContexts context)

Behandeln Sie das DataError-Ereignis, um dieses Standarddialogfeld zu ersetzen.
OK  

2.) a couple of errors messages appeared at terminal's log too, but since the error was handmade, I spare you with the details, because after preventing the "www." within the host name everything went fine, resolution and our dns servers also had been detected properly...

I was able to reproduce this.  
BUG

# HOWEVER #, I wasn't able to resolve any workstation-/server-names, ONLY web adresses! with any tried valid ws/srv name and any known name-combination (NAME, NAME.Domain.wan, \\NAME, ...) I got the error "could not resolve host!"

terminal's log says this:

- field host: WSNAME

INFO  2011-04-05 15:06:21,012 34735ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.
System.ArgumentException: The supplied domain name was not in the correct form
Parametername: domain
   bei Bdev.Net.Dns.Question..ctor(String domain, DnsType dnsType, DnsClass dnsClass) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNS\Question.cs:Zeile 48.
   bei Terminals.Network.DNSLookup.lookupButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\source\codeplex\Terminals\Terminals\Network\DNSLookup.cs:Zeile 42.

- field host: WSNAME.domain.wan

INFO  2011-04-05 15:06:43,450 57172ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.

- field host: \\WSNAME

INFO  2011-04-05 15:07:11,044 84767ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.

- field host: \\123.456.789.000

INFO  2011-04-05 15:07:38,154 111877ms Terminals              lookupButton_Click - Could not resolve host.

>>> btw, windows cmd nslookup worked fine & like expected!

*) SHARES

works fine, no problems so far, shares are detected properly at the chosen server/workstation...

*) SERVICES

works... I guess! amount of depicted services changes when changing the server/workstation (ip or dns name), so I think it works...

*) TIME

works... at least with the default "time.nist.gov" a list of properties and the current date/time will be shown...

*) TS-ADMIN

works, tested with a couple of (auto detected?) ts within our lan from terminal's drop down list, it shows the connected clients and their affiliated infos!
also tested positive with right mouse click on a favorite...

*) WAKE ON LAN

works, tested with a couple of clients within our lan!

*) PORT SCANNER

wasn't able to get it working, lack of knowledge how to do this properly... *shrug*
(at least not crashing terminals again... ;)

*) PACKETS

works fine everything & like expected!

*) COMPUTER MANAGMENT (MMC) - after right mousclick on a favorite:

works perfect!

*) SYSTEM INFORMATION - after right mousclick on a favorite:

works perfect!

well, that's it so far... don't know if it's useful for anyone, but here ya have! ^^

if someone will emend my knowledge about proper handling terminals network tools, be my guest!

regards

Sparksman

Thanks for the feedback!

PS: yes, I suck on english...

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jun 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM

hello RobChartier

Are you on a wireless network connection?  Ive seen this sporadically in the past as well.
nope, good ol' copper lan (gbit)

I bet you its an issue with the library we are using... Will need investigation
feel free to contact me if I'd test it with a new version of terminals...

Good Call
FEATURE REQUEST

glad I'd give you a new feature idea... ^^

So these represent active connections to remote servers.  Like TcpView.exe from SysInternals/Microsoft.
aha... well, thx for the info!

Line 54 indicates that you need a domain name specified.
uhm, I tested it with the default "codeplex.com" (already inserted when you click the whois-tab). after some thoughtful seconds I got (get, tested again) the mentioned error message! so, what domain name? our company's, or...? sorry for sounding retarded, but I don't get it at the moment... :/

I was able to reproduce this.
BUG
glad I'd point out a bug... ^^

# HOWEVER #, I wasn't able to resolve any workstation-/server-names, ONLY web adresses!
you don't forget about this case too, yes?

Thanks for the feedback!
well, that's the least I can do... thx for the program!

greets

Sparksman