Sub-level Tagging

May 14, 2008 at 4:43 AM
First off would like to say Terminals is amazing.  Cant say enough about it.  I have a question about the tags.  Is there any way to create sub-level tags?  Example: if i have a general group (tag) and want to add to sub groups (tags) to it (see below for more detail).   Oh, drag and drop machines into different tags, and right click delete option would be nice as well (if possible).  Thank you.
-Servers
 --Windows
  ---Server 1
  ---Server 2
 --Unix
 ---Server 3
 ---Server 4
-Wkst
 --Windows
  ---Wkst 1
 --Linux
  ---Wkst 2
Sep 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM
I would like to second the request for being able to sub-group machines.  Other then this one issue, I think it is a great piece of software.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

A favorite can belong to as many tags as you want, and they are not heirarchical.  What I do just place them in logical groups and you can completely avoid the multi-level heirarchy which usually just becomes messy and more difficult to manage.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2008 at 4:37 PM
I apologize but i disagree.  It would be much easier to a mulit-level heirarchy (see figure 1).  I am always connecting to multiple servers at any given time and to have them with just one tag (i.e. DEVELOPMENT) would not help me as i would need to see which of my applications that DEVELOPMENT Server belonged to.

Figure1:
 - MOJAVE     --  this is the application name
  -- MOJDEV  -- this is the name of the devlopement server, where inital devlopment begins and developers test
  -- MOJSTG   -- this is the name of the staging server, smoke testing by testing group
  -- MOJREL   -- this is the name of the release server, final touches before prod release, and can act as UAT
  -- MOJPD     -- this is the name of the production server and is used by our user community
  -- CITRIX01 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance
  -- CITRIX02 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance
  -- CITRIX03 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; used for production only of this app
  -- CITRIX04 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; used for production only of this app

this outline holds true for all of my 20+ applications used on a daily basis.  the citrix servers can be shared for dev environments and for other apps.  The other issue is that not all of our server names give away the applicaiton residing on.  this is due to the fact that we may have a utility like server where 4 or 5 little applications share the same box (see figure 2).  this trend holds true for my entire environment (over 100 servers).

Figure 2:
- STAPLE  --  this is the application name
 --UTLDEV  -- this is the name of the devlopement server, where inital devlopment begins and developers test; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 --UTLSTG  -- this is the name of the staging server, smoke testing by testing group; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 --UTLREL  -- this is the name of the release server, final touches before prod release, and can act as UAT; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 --UTLPD    -- this is the name of the production server and is used by our user community; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 -- CITRIX14 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's DEV environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 -- CITRIX15 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's PD environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; STAPLE shares this server with other apps
 -- CITRIX16 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's PD environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; STAPLE shares this server with other apps

- ACES -- this is the applicaiton name
--UTLDEV  -- this is the name of the devlopement server, where inital devlopment begins and developers test; ACES shares this server with other apps
 --UTLSTG  -- this is the name of the staging server, smoke testing by testing group; ACES shares this server with other apps
 --UTLREL  -- this is the name of the release server, final touches before prod release, and can act as UAT; ACES shares this server with other apps
 --UTLPD    -- this is the name of the production server and is used by our user community; ACES shares this server with other apps
  -- CITRIX16 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's PD environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; ACES shares this server with other apps
 -- CITRIX15 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's DEV environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; ACES shares this server with other apps
 -- CITRIX16 -- this is the name of the citrix box that users use as front to point to the application's DEV environments; mulitple citrix servers for load balance; ACES shares this server with other apps

essentially this leads to the request of having mulit-level tagging,

- MOJAVE
 -- DEV
 -- REL
 -- STG

- STAPLE
 -- DEV
 -- REL
 -- STG

-ACES
 -- DEV
 -- REL
 -- STG

-CITRIX  --  i understand that CITRIX would need its own section due to the fact that multiple apps share the same CITRIX box and i would not want to repeat it in the application section.
 -- DEV
 -- REL
 -- STG

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:36 PM
essentially this leads to the request of having mulit-level tagging,

- MOJAVE
 -- DEV
 --REL
 --STG

- STAPLE
 -- DEV
 --REL
 --STG

-ACES
 -- DEV
 --REL
 --STG

-CITRIX  --  i understand that CITRIX would need its own section due to the fact that multiple apps share the same CITRIX box and i would not want to repeat it in the application section.
 -- DEV
 --REL
 --STG

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM

You can specify more than one tag per favorite, so can slice and dice the favorites in mulitple tags in whatever fashion you like, just at a single level.

For example, I have a boat load of machines (corp lan) broken down by OS, Purpose (client/server), etc... 

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM
Im sorry im not really seeing how you break down your tags ( i tried 2 tags; see below; if this is what you were talking about then not really what im looking for).  Can you please provide a quick example.  If im understanding corectly, i could do that but i would have like quite a few duplicates and tags.  I would definately need to seperate my apps by environment as well.  Not really what i was looking for, cant please everybody, but the product (Terminals) is great.  Can i ask a different question here?  its about the CITRIX section; where are the .ini files coming from? 

- MOJAVE --tag for MOJDEV; first level tag
 -- DEVLOPMENT --2nd tag for MOJDEV; second leve tag

TAG DISPLAY IN TERMINALS
-----------------------------------------------------
MOJAVE -- tag
 - MOJDEV

DEVELOPMENT --tag
 - MOJDEV