Patch uploaded for "Connect to Console" on Vista SP1/XPSP3

Topics: Developer Forum
May 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM
Edited May 16, 2008 at 1:05 AM
I've uploaded a small patch to enable "Connect To Console" to work on Vista SP1 and XP SP3 (and still work on older versions, of course)- not much to it. Just replaced the v6 interop library with v6.1 and added a runtime check to see if the new interface implementation is available. If so, it uses the new ConnectToAdministerServer setting instead of ConnectToServerConsole.

Tested on Vista SP1 and XP SP2 (eg, the old way) and it works as expected.

Curious why there are three different copies of the interop libraries for MSTSCAX? The new ones are 100% backward compatible with the old, as long as you don't actually call new members on an old impl. I didn't make a fourth, in any case- just replaced.

Anyway- thanks!

-Matt
Coordinator
May 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM
This is great news.  I will test the patch and move it into the source if all is well.
May 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM
sounds great...what do you think rob?
May 29, 2008 at 7:03 PM
I would love to test this, I am testing XP SP3 on my main machine now and the lack of /console annoys me about once a week.
Jun 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM
If you need a test-dummie ... I'm your dumm... , I mean .. I'm your man.  Lack of /console annoys me multiple times a day! 
Jun 3, 2008 at 3:56 PM
If you need a test-dummie ... I'm your dumm... , I mean .. I'm your man.  Lack of /console annoys me multiple times a day! 
Jun 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Has anyone built the current code with this patch applied? I would like to test it too.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Follow up: This is in any 1.7 (and beyond) release version.
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM
I checked out 1.7 as soon as I saw that in the release notes.. It WORKS!