Wish List

Topics: User Forum
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM
OK, here is my Use Case. Terminals looks like it should do it, but currently its a non-starter.

We have a large number of diverse systems, most in a big apparatus room, many scattered about the world on DSL links, etc.

Some are linux or BSD boxes with no GUI.

Some are linux boxes running VNC servers

Some are linux boxes without VNC but with X.

Some are windows boxes with Remote Desktop.

Many are "locked down" by the equipment vendors and we would be compromising their support of our equipment if we added additional software.

We have a central support area which accesses the local systems with KVMs and the remote systems with Web access, VNC, putty, etc. The KVM system doesn't work well since some vendors have built-in KVMs on blades that don't talk well to the main KVM system.

So Ideally, we would replace the KVMs with remote console access, maybe with IPMI, but for many systems ssh, vnc, X or RDP. A nice multi-protocol tabbed remote access manager would be perfect.

This is what doesn't work in Terminals:

1) almost anything using ssh
      if you can get a terminal open, then command line editting, completion etc. doesn't work
      most of my systems are inaccessible because Terminals doesn't do public key authentication
      I use ssh tunnelling a lot to get access to VNC and X on hosts behind DSL firewalls and Terminals doesn't help here
2) anything using X
3) VNC to systems that don't want a password.

But Terminals is potentially the perfect answer, the interface is nice and most of the protocols are there (although it took me a while to find the ssh since it hides as telnet, which is a completely different protocol.

Julian
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2008 at 8:25 PM
Great feedback, and thanks for using Terminals.  Its nice to see that my weekend/pet project is getting used..  :)

1) almost anything using ssh
      if you can get a terminal open, then command line editting, completion etc. doesn't work
      most of my systems are inaccessible because Terminals doesn't do public key authentication
      I use ssh tunnelling a lot to get access to VNC and X on hosts behind DSL firewalls and Terminals doesn't help here

--) Completion does work now.  what is "command line editing" referring too?
--) Public key authentication - man, that would be nice!  The big trick for me is to find a free, .NET based client which is much more rich in support than the current tool...
--) SSH Tunnelling, might be intersting addition...I will need to dig around to find some C# source.  The big issue for me is that I will not be able to test it once I get some code around it.

2) anything using X

--) Agreed.  Any chance you can find a "free" Open Source library in .NET preferrably C# source for this!?!?

3) VNC to systems that don't want a password.

--) I could add a bit on the VNC connection which will set a "required" password.  Literally will control the password dialog.  Would that be sufficient?

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM
Rob
I can supply systems for remote testing etc. Just let me know what yiou need.

I did go through the source code for the libraries you are using and tunneling / forwarding is there. I use Poderosa for SSH. Poderosa is the further development of the VeraTerm tabbed SSH client and uses the Granados ssh library as well.

There is a tunneling app that is part of Poderosa that could be used with terminals in the short term.

Great app BTW Rob. Portable, light weight but does almost anything an admin could want.

Thanks
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM
I used a similar product years ago but it did not support the protocols yours does.

One feature of the product I do not see in yours is a tree view to organize groups and servers. I would love to see the traditional expandable group and sub group folders for better organization.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Well, I think we're getting there.

thanks Rob for letting me poke my nose in on this one - It really could be a great help to us.

Glad I wrote this list down - I'd forgotten about the VNC with no password issue.

Need to look at the ssh cut & paste.

Socks proxy and port forwarding is next though.

Julian