VMRC Help

Topics: User Forum
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:30 AM
Can someone help me with setting up a VMRC connection?

I have a vmware server 1.x & a 2.x .
Nov 5, 2008 at 12:56 PM
In my opinion, you can't.

VMRC is the console's protocol only for Microsoft's virtualization products like Microsoft Virtual Server or Microsoft HyperV.
VMRC is based on opensource VNC protocol (TCP port 5900).

So no connection to Vmware products because vmware use their own protocol for remote console display.
Nov 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Thanks for the answer. 

Maybe Rob can add it to a future revision

Here is a link to the VMWARE SDK
Nov 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM
The SDK is only a way to add management hooks to VMware hosts and since you can do those things from a web page . . . I doesn't give you visual access to the guests. 
Since version 2 uses a web console you can try setting up access via HTTP. If you have the MUI installed in Server 1 you can access the management console via HTTP. To access the individual virtual servers you can add VNC settings to the VMX file and you will be able to access the individual VM. You can almost get to the BIOS settings during a reboot.

Add something like the following to the individual VMX files:
  RemoteDisplay.vnc.enabled = "TRUE"
RemoteDisplay.vnc.port = "59010"
RemoteDisplay.vnc.password = "password"

The vnc.port needs to be different for each Guest. You use the Host address for all the guests.
VMware server or ESX uses the port to point the VNC session to the correct machine.
If you want more try setting up a Windows workstation with all the management tools and access
that machine from Terminals.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM
http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk25pubs/readme_dotnet.html

Looks promising.  Will copy to work item as a feature request..
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.