This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Terminals Basic - How to -> Create Tags

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I am evaluating the Terminals Program. I have for years used VisionApp RDP and am tiard of paying $100+ a year for their product. I run and manage lab environments for four sites, and each site has sub groups by vendor under it, and under that we have physical and virtual resources. All these connections, I have to be able to login and save passwords and account profiles.

From what I see, the Terminals program seems to offer all I need:
VNC, SSH, Telnet, RDP, HTTP, HTTPS with saved credentials to allow for quick login automation.

What I need to do are some basic setup tasks:
Create my password/credentials database -> Done, this was easy to do.
Create structure of systems and resources in a nested structure (like DNS) in which systems are all in.

Example: (each domain segment would have dozens of systems)
site1.hp.lab.com
site1.ibm.lab.com
site1.emc.lab.com
site1.hds.lab.com
site2.hp.lab.com
site2.ibm.lab.com
site2.emc.lab.com
site2.hds.lab.com
.... etc..

I believe the way to setup this "skeleton" is in the use of "tags". What I cannot figure out is now to create a tag and then create sub-tags. where I can put resources under each nested group.

Example
svr1.site1.hp.com -> RDP system connection
sw1.site1.hp.com -> ssh for ethernet switch connection
sw1.lab.com -> core router ssh connection
fc1.lab.com -> core fibre ssh connection
...etc...

Can someone point me to how to create this "tag" layout? Youtube? Screenshots on how to create tags and nested tags?

Thanks,
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM
The only documentation to Tags (Groups) topic this wiki page: https://terminals.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Organize%20favorites&referringTitle=User%20documentation
But wouldn't satisfy your needs, because Terminals currently doesn't support nested Grouping (Tags inside Tags or Groups). This feature is planed for one of next releases.
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I saw and read that, but until just now did I figure it out.
Manage Tags
When managing discussions on the internet we are used to organize our topics using labels called Tags. In Terminals this labels are also called Tags and are used in similar meaning. There is no extra tool, where you organize Tags for all connections. Simply open one selected connection settings and switch to "Tags" page. Here you will see three boxes: "
Ok.... so step one...

Right click on connection you made and choose properties

"... switch to "Tags" page..." -> click on "tags" tab. Add new tags, or select tags created previously and click button to associate them to this connection.

Thanks for responses. Hopefully this helps others.
May 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM
.. Update to above...

Seems that labels have other issues "ghosting" sections. I created a group "ibm.aessatl.arrow.com" which contained about 30 objects. I then noted that a new label showed up "Ibm.Aessatl.Arrow.Com"

I initially thought I had somehow fat fingered and made duplicate label groups. I choose to delete the group and all objects did get deleted, but also all the tags and associated objects under "ibm.aessatl.arrow.com"

I recreated the group and it repeated the above error.

Attached is screen shot of repeatable error.

Coordinator
May 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Your screenshots are somehow missing....