Shut down / Restart a computer via Terminals?

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM
I was just wondering if it were possible to shut down or restart a computer via Terminals.  The Shut Down button is changed to "Disconnect".  If this were possible it would really be great for installs / Windows Updates, etc. 

Thanks,
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:13 AM
If you enable the favorites tab (tools, options), you can right click the computer and perform a reboot.

I have found that it is sometimes reliable....
Mar 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I didn't see that there, sorry...

Thanks Again,
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM
You have two other options.  First, on newer versions of Windows, you should see a "Windows Security" entry on the start menu that will take you to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen with the options to change your password, logoff, or shutdown.  Second, you can use the Windows Resource Kit to set up a shortcut or menu option to reboot the server.  Lastly, on some of our Windows servers, one of the admins configured the start menu to still display the Shut Down option, even when connected through the RDP client.  I don't know how that happened, but I know it's possible.
Mar 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM
You can get the CTRL-ALT-DEL menu in terminal services by pressing CTRL-ALT-END.  You can then do the shutdown/reboot from there.
May 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

at command prompt or run box type shutdown -r -t 0

-r tells it to reboot

-t 0 is the time delay set to zero so it will do it immediately.   whatever resource kit option deek said you could just make into a bat file on the desktop with this command in it

I also like using sysinternals process explorer as my task manager on every computer i touch.  it has very accessible option to reboot as well