2 Bugs? Odd Resolutions & Vista UAC

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Edited Jan 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM
Firstly - great app - i'm involved in many different environments and use this handy tool to manage well over 200 connections for me. That said I have a couple of issues that I'm hoping can be addressed;

- Recently (since the first Jan release) some RDP connections I create have a significantly increased resolution which is hard to see in the window (doing nothing different - leaving the auto scale setting as always). An example is one connection will auto scale to 1600x1121 and look normal however the next one I open has scaled to 2560x1599 which is microscopic because it's in the same size window?
- Minor gripe with Vista is this app needs to be run as an administrator (which is one more click to launch if you have UAC). In fact the latest release (1.7e) just does nothing unless you specify this - previous versions launched but didn't allow you to create/modify a favorite. Any plan to sort this or there is a real reason why it needs to run as admin and perhaps just a launch message is required...

Thanks again for continuing to develop this.
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM
Was having a poke around and regarding the second issue - a simple fix (because some fundamental things may need to change to address completley) might be to get the app to demand UAC elevation using something like this;
http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2006/10/28/Windows-Vista-_2D00_-Demand-UAC-elevation-for-an-application-by-adding-a-manifest-using-mt.exe.aspx
Jan 25, 2009 at 2:59 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2009 at 2:59 AM
I have never needed a UAC prompt in either Vista or Windows 7 so I am not sure why you are getting this prompt.

I also either have Terminals installed on a USB key or a shared folder so it is easily accessable over my network from any PC.

Also I don't use 'Auto-Scale' for any RDP sessions I always use 'Fit to Window' as the MSTSC.EXE (RDP) option for this will always resize the RDP session to fit whatever PC screen size I am using at the time (1280x1024 or 1280 x 960 for widescreen etc) I find this for Windows RDP sessions much better than 'Auto-Scale'.

Cheers,

Stephen
Jan 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Well that explains it :)

I have terminals located in the program files folder, I'm guessing that terminals.xml stores the connection info and as this needs to be modified elevation is required. I guess I can just move the installation elsewhere to avoid having to deal with UAC (is there any way to specify a location other than the programs home directory to load the config file from - would be nice if this sat in my documents).

Regarding the other issue if I change the setting to Fit to Window the problem goes away however if I resize the window the resolution isn't changed to fit the new window size (I move from my 30" monitor on my desk to my 17" on my laptop and this has been a nice feature).

Thanks,
Fran
Feb 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The UAC is due to a misunderstanding of how Vista security works.  Even though you may be running as administrator the system is running you as a user and does a UAC prompt when it needs to elevate privileges.  The entire Program Files folder is read only to Users so if it writes anything it forces a privilege elevation.  Stephen with his located in a different location that he has full rights to doesn't need elevation (thus no UAC).

The fix to this is to change the read/write permissions on either the file or the Terminal's folder in Program Files so your account has at minimum Write permissions.  You could also set the Everyone user to have write permissions.  This should clear up that issue permanently.  The other alternative is to install in a different location.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM
I understand perfectly how UAC works thanks Shial.

People expect to install programs into the program files directory, the real issue is that terminals.xml must be located with the exe - I think a better solution would be to permit this to be stored elsewhere, e.g. in the users documents folder (lots of benefits).
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.