Configuring Connections During Install

Topics: User Forum
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I have been given a brand new K1000 and have started working on managed installs. I would like to be able to define the connections in the MSI file. My goal is to install Terminals and have the connections to my servers already present. This way the other admin dosent have to do anything to config terminals.

I used ORCA to access the tables for the MSI, but I was unable to find a place to enter an XML file that contains the various servers in my enviornment.

Is this possible? is there a preffered way Terminals can accomplish this?
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Yes, have a look at Favorites.xml file in user profile or application directory, depending on your deployment type. It contains the stored favorites in latest version.
See also related documentation:
https://terminals.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Upgrade%20to%20version%203.0&referringTitle=Documentation

To deploy the favorites together with your setup you have three options:

A.) [RECOMMENDED]: Use SQL database and deploy user configuration file pointing to the database.
B.) Deploy required already configured Terminals.config and Favorites.xml as part your MSI package. Not supported scenario, but should also work.
Favorites may contain encrypted values of credentials. To successfully reuse them, you have to create default user configuration using an empty master password. After the deployment, users should define their own application master password. In case of using stored credentials you have to deploy both files as pair, because the master password is used to encrypt credentials stored in the favorites.xml.
C.) Use command line option to redirect users configuration to shared place (https://terminals.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Command%20line%20arguments&referringTitle=User%20documentation) and deploy shortcut with the command line arguments as part of your setup.

Notes:
  • the favorites.xml is not part of our setup. You have to create your own file
  • We deploy an empty Terminals.config. So, run test copy of Terminals to create your own configuration. Than replace the original file by the created file in your setup.