Terminals won't close

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM
I've recently installed version 3.4.0. works great, just like all other versions I've had. Except, that it won't close. I have to go into Task Manager and kill the process.

Any ideas?

Win 7 64-bit
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Is there an icon in system tray?
It still wont close?
Isnt there any other dialog below the main window?
Can you provide a log file?
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Yes, the icon is in the system tray. I can't get it to close any way except to go into Task Manager and stop the terminals.exe process.

There's no error, no dialog whatsoever, it just won't close. I'm not sure what log file you'd like to see.
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM
So, no one else is experiencing this issue? I still have to go into Task Manager in order to close the Terminals program.
Mar 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM
I have one computer that i installed 3.4.0 on and also experience this issue.
Another computer i have no upgraded and still am on 3.0.2 and it works fine.
I am thinking of downgrading to stop the annoying problem.
If you can advise what log file you would like i shall get you mine too.
Mar 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem. I didn't have a problem with the previous version.
Developer
Apr 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Is anybody able to identify exact steps you are able to reproduce this issue?
I am not able to reproduce and i think, this requires fix.
Or at least provide log file?
Apr 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I simply installed the latest version. After I disconnect all my RDP sessions, I normally click on the X in the top corner to close Terminals. That no longer works. The only way I can close it is to do so from Task Manager and kill the process.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM
same here.

NullReferenceException in FavoritesSearchBox.UnloadEvents()
Developer
Apr 29, 2014 at 12:28 AM
If there is an icon, thats not a bug, it is a feature, i don't like it too.
It can be disabled in application options as "Minimalize to System tray".
Concerning the NullReferenceException, i will have a look at it.
Apr 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
I can confirm with Terminals 3.5.0 that going to Tools -> Options -> Interface -> System Tray and unchecking Minimize To Tray fixes this problem.
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
So, I upgraded to 3.5.0 yesterday. Didn't change any default settings, but the program closes again by clicking on the X in the top corner.

Don't know what changed from 3.4 to 3.5, but thanks :)
May 1, 2014 at 3:58 AM
Edited May 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM
I upgraded to 3.5 from 3.4 and still have the problem. I have also unchecked the 'minimize to try' and it still does not close. Not sure how to replicate steps, i have exported my Favorites and deleted them all but the problem is still there. Pressing close creates this log message:

ERROR 2014-05-01 10:55:15,276 41015ms Terminals WndProc - WnProc Failure
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Terminals.Forms.Controls.FavoritesSearchBox.UnloadEvents()
at Terminals.MainForm.MainForm_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at Terminals.MainForm.WndProc(Message& msg)

UPDATE: I don't know what just happened, if it was a reboot or something but terminals now closes! Unfortunately i don't have a clue which thing i did fixed it.
May 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM
I still have the problem. I've upgraded to 3.5 as well. Minimize to Tray isn't checked for me.

I did some more digging on this, and it appears to be a problem if you don't run the application as an administrator. I don't like to run applications as administrator unless there's a good darn reason to do so, but I can close the application when I do, so I got that going for me.
May 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Edited May 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM
after debugging i found that when the Favorite Panel is disabled an NullReferenceException will be thrown in FavoritesSearchBox.UnloadEvents() because IPersistence persistence is null.

if i enable the Favorite Panel again, i'm able to close Terminals.

please see patch 16319

thanks for your work on this wonderful program :)
May 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM
That doesn't work for me.

I have the favorites panel disabled too. So I enabled it and re-ran the program with normal permissions. It wouldn't close. I closed and re-ran it with administrative permissions and closed normally.

The favorite panel status had no bearing on the problem for me.
Developer
May 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Try the latest build, if it solves, your issue.
I found the same issue, as meixger, Thank you meixger for the patch.
May 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM
The latest download I see is 3.5 and that's what I'm running. The problem is present on 3.5.
Developer
May 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Sorry, i mean last successful Nightly build not official release build.
May 7, 2014 at 3:05 AM
I don't see where nightly builds are available? Do you have a link?
Developer
May 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Check the "Developer guide" documentation.
May 16, 2014 at 6:52 AM
I have the OP's issue as well (can't close 3.5)
Downloaded nightly 3.3.0.404 and it still has the issue. Was this the correct build with the fix?
May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM
new install 3.5 on win7 does not exit. must kill task.
run as admin fixes for me
minimize to tray closes it right away so useless
May 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Edited May 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Ok my issue boiled down to this.

Permissions on c:\users\user\appdata\local\Robert_Chartier\Terminals\Data\Toolstrip.settings.config had Users with Read permission.
Users appear to need Write permission on close.

Running as Admin fixes this. or changing the permission on that file so user has write access.
Application throws a System.UnauthorizedAccessException on toolStripContainer.SaveLayout() and stops the app from closing.

Hack patch added 16375
May 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM
That fixed it thanks !