This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hierarchical Options with Group (like RDCMan)

Topics: Developer Forum
May 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM
While evaluating Terminals for a client with many servers (thousands), there are unavoidable comparisons with RDCMan and perhaps I missed this feature.

In RDCMan, groups have options for RDP (similar to actual connections), and so settings made at the group level propagate (by default) to connections within that group.

In dealing with dozens, hundreds or even more connections this is a very important feature.

Does this exist in terminals (and I missed it)?

Plans for this feature?

Is there some difficulty with implementing this (if the developers know)?

Baring that -- what about (at least) a top level option for RDP (not just the options that appear to be present for UI and such) that would set DEFAULTS for new connections?

The feature to reset credentials is NICE, but far more awkward and tedious to use than the inheritance (with selective blocking) used by RDCMan.

I will probably be looking for more features so please understand that were it not that Terminals is such a GOOD PROGRAM already, there would be no motivation to pursue it.

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work already put into this project!

Herb
Jun 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM
when you configure a new RDP connection there is a button 'save current settings as default'
Jun 3, 2014 at 4:34 AM
That will certainly help some

And since this means there must be a way to set the defaults the suggestion for this portion should probably include a menu entry to just set the defaults outside of any particular connections to make it easier to find.

Thanks -- this will help ME quite a bit.

Still would like to see setting allowed to inherit down from groups and the idea of groups within groups.
Developer
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM