This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Feature request -- domain separate from machine name?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM
If this is not the place to suggest a feature request, please let me know.

I have a series of machines that currently resolve to a test sub-domain (call it "dev.example.com"), and require the FQDN to resolve on my workstation. In the future, they will be moved to a different sub-domain (call it "qa.example.com") and then moved to a third sub-domain ("prod.example.com"), with the possibility of them being moved a fourth time ("archive.example.com"). If this was a small number of machines, it would not be difficult, but this is likely to be 15+ machines, with more coming.

It would be nice to have the domain part separate from the machine name in Terminals, with an option to change a block of machines' domain at the same time (like we can currently do with credentials).

Please note, I am not talking about the current "Domain" option in Terminals, which appears to only be for Active Directory/NT Domain style credentials. I am referring to the part of a FQDN after the machine name.

Thank you.
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Why not just use the hostname itself and put the DNS suffix in your "DNS suffix search list"?
Jun 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM
remiego wrote:
Why not just use the hostname itself and put the DNS suffix in your "DNS suffix search list"?
Good suggestion, but in this case, the machine name may be replicated on the different domains (this was the problem that caused me to need to use the FQDN to start with). I had forgotten about that possibility, though. If I am the only one who that would not work for, then it does not make sense for the feature to be added. If others do need something similar, it still might be a good idea.
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM
You can achieve this by writing power shell script on top of the favorites.xml file. Simply make a replace for required favorite name.