This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Run as Unprivileged User

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Before I suggest this as an issue, I'd like to confirm that I haven't missed something. Neither 1.7e nor 1.01 will run as an ordinary user? A cursory look seems to indicate that logging is being attempted in a directory descended from Program Files. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:17 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2009 at 7:36 AM

It should work fine with an ordinary user (ie. Non Administrator) and one tip that I would recceomend is to not install Terminals in "C:\Program Files" for a start and install to a seperate directory structure. I have Terminals (And other 'Portable Apps') at D:\PortableApps\Terminals and all the logs are stored in D:\PortableApps\Terminals\logs

Just checked on my laptop that runs as a standard user account and it works fine and the 'CurrentLog.Txt' file in C:\PortableApps\Terminals\logs is updated correctly.

Terminals Standard User

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:12 PM
Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply. I'm not surprised that installing or placing the application in a directory where ordinary users can write does allow the application to work. The problem is that ordinary users shouldn't be able to do that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in terms of configuration or setup that would have directed log output to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data or %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data. Requiring ordinary users to be able to write to the application directory tree isn't the best design decision.
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Yeah, this seems to be a problem for me also when running under Windows 7.

After install, you click on the icon that is created on your desktop but then windows 7 says that the app has stopped working. Initally I thought that the latest version 1.8a was not compatible but then when you right click and run as admin, it works fine. I had to recrete the link on the desktop for this to work.

I'm sure these are all issues that will be worked out in time.

Fantastic app Terminals Team. Very well done.

Rob