Connect as behaviour

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 27, 2015 at 8:49 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Hi! I'm using Terminals for about a week now, and I love it. It is so much more stable than VisionApp (in our environment that is) we used before. I have a productivity improvement request though. I often have to login to a server with several accounts for testing purposes. In Visionapp when you right-click a favorite and select 'connect as' a menu pops out with all stored credentials, making it much faster to select one opposed to Terminals' window that opens, where you have to open the pull-down menu and then select one and click OK. See the screenshot below as how Visionapp works. It would really save a lot of clicks.

Thanks for any insights!
Oct 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM
Good call, this would be really useful and tidy up the amount of connections.

I always create two (or more) connections to the same server, one with creds and one without username and password so they are requested by the connecting server
Developer
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Such behavior was available in previous versions, and was requested to provide more custom modifications, like not saved password.
Also imagine users who have dozents of stored credentials, how this context menu should look like?
Oct 17, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Hmm well I just recently started using Terminals (and donated by the way, for your great app!) but I really think this is a produtive issue. It takes me SO much more clicks now. If the code was in there as I 'requested' it's probably still available somewhere. Could it be a user-selectable option then? As GigaTech replied just before your reply, it seems there are more people that want this (back).
Another option would be to have a pull out menu as in my screenshot, but still have the connect-as as a button. So click connect-as to get the current screen, or hover it to open a menu with saved credentials. Or maybe a 'custom' button on top of the list. All those options would still be the very same amount of clicks for the people that want the menu how it is now, but will save a lot of clicks for people who want to be able to connect directly with their saved credentials. Win/win I'd say :)
Oct 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM
I like the idea of right click the connection pulls out a context menu and allows 'connect as' but at the same time having a set of creds for double click action.

Also (as mentioned in other threads, but along the same line) the ability to set a password or common encryption key within the client, so all of my support department can use one set of connections from a single MSSQL/MYSQL database for manageability, security and ease of access. So if a support box get rebuilt or a client password changes just need to do it once, rather then 20 times and then there is always the two or three that get forgot because John wasn't in that day and doesn't know the new password (because of security)...