VMware SSH Connection

Topics: User Forum
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM
Does Terminals allow SSH connections to VMware servers?
Nov 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM
not from what i can tell. every time i've tried on 3 different hosts i get this:

Sorry, Terminals was unable to connect to the remote machine. Try again, or check the log for more information.

Details:
Empty path name is not legal.
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Edited Dec 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Hi guys,

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick here but assuming you want to connect with RDP over SSH, this does work, I use it with two different sites, it's a timing issue, terminals doesn't wait very long for the "Execute before connect" to complete and can try to establish connection before the SSH tunnel is set up if you have a slow connection/PC, would be nice to have a user definable delay option.

I see this behaviour when using plink for the tunnel; try to connect, wait till you get the connection error, leave plink running, then try and connect again, you see a second plink session but Terminals connects via the first successfully.

On some of the PC's I use it works first time as they set up the tunnel before Terminals tries to connect, on slower machines I see the above behaviour.

I get round this issue on the slow machines by calling plink via a batch file instead, this allows me to put a delay of my choice in before it exits, then I tick the "Wait for exit" box in Terminals.
start [path to]\plink.exe -ssh [user]@[server] -N -L [local port]:127.0.0.1:3389
sleep 5s
exit
I use pageant to do the authentication, so no password prompt issues.
sleep is from GNU CoreUtils http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm