This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SSH - Terminals was unable to connect to the remote machine / Empty path name is not legal

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 25, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Trying to use Terminals (v3.6.1) to make a simple SSH connect to a local resource (ESXi host)

Gave it the IP and credentials and each time i try to connect I get this error:
Sorry, Terminals was unable to connect to the remote machine. Try again, or check the log for more information.

Details:
Empty path name is not legal.

Ideas?
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM
Edited Dec 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Hi,

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick here but assuming you want to connect with RDP over SSH, I use it with two different VMWare sites, it's a timing issue, terminals doesn't wait very long for the "Execute before connect" to complete and can try to establish connection before the SSH tunnel is set up if you have a slow connection/PC, would be nice to have a user definable delay option.

I see this behaviour when using plink for the tunnel; try to connect, wait till you get the connection error, leave plink running, then try and connect again, you see a second plink session but Terminals connects via the first successfully.

On some of the PC's I use it works first time as they set up the tunnel before Terminals tries to connect, on slower machines I see the above behaviour.

I get round this issue on the slow machines by calling plink via a batch file instead, this allows me to put a delay of my choice in before it exits, then I tick the "Wait for exit" box in Terminals.
start [path to]\plink.exe -ssh [user]@[server] -N -L [local port]:127.0.0.1:3389
sleep 5s
exit
I use pageant to do the authentication, so no password prompt issues.
sleep is from GNU CoreUtils http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

Hope that helps.
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Negative - but thank you.

I am simply trying to use Terminals to connect via SSH to SSH endpoints.

Because Terminals shows SSH, among other protocols (RDP, VNC, etc), I assumed there was an integrated SSH client in Terminals. I also assumed this because I could find no documentation on this and also because I could find no place in Terminals to configure a 3rd party SSH client like PuTTY. If there is, I've looked everywhere for it.

I'm running v3.6.1

Terminals is an app with a lot of potential - but it's not realized. Then again, you get what you pay for so no complaints. Just disappointing
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM
also, where is the 'Wait for exit' box in Terminals? The closest thing i can find is in the Connection Profiles, under 'Execute before connect'

Thank you.
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:37 AM
SSH still works you just need to set authentication method to 'password' instead of public key in the properties of your connection - SSH Options - SSH.
Dec 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Thank you. But still getting 'user authentication failed' with the same credentials that work with PuTTY SSH connections. I have yet to see Terminals work with SSH connections, even after setting auth method password.
Dec 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM
i have the same ssh error 'user authentication failed'
Feb 22, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Go to Tools -> Credential Management, and add your ssh login credentials.
Then configure the ssh connection to use the credentials just created for ssh.
Feb 23, 2016 at 4:23 PM
yep - tried that originally. still results in this every time (and yes, have tried 'correcting' credentials many times, in case i fat-fingered it):

Details:
User authentication failed.

I think i have checked every logical thing to make this work but i'm sure there has to be a solution hiding somewhere if others are using it successfully.
Mar 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry for my English, I'am Italian. I have the same problem of DanielVNS. Doing the same connection like putty it's impossible with Terminals. Is anyone able to do simple connnection in ssh with linux machine ?
Mar 2, 2016 at 12:26 PM
IMHO: Terminals closed the connection too soon. Putty waits. So I think Terminals has to wait with programmable timeout.
Mar 2, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Supercourier don't worry about your English - you are perfectly understandable.

I think you're on the right track about this being due to timing. Note the link above by Tuxalator (Dec 8, 2015 at 3:30 AM) saying the same. He has a solution, though I don't know what plink is or how to implement it.

It'd be nice if the Terminals crew would just address this in the application itself because, aside from a few small loose ends, it's almost the perfect terminal mgmt app.
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM
Any fix on this? I, too, cannot connect to a simple linux box with SSH.
One thing I did try is to set the SSH Options authentication method to "keyboard." My assumption was that maybe this would connect via SSH but then let me log in manually, thus perhaps getting around the issue where Terminals seems to close the connection too soon. However, what I get is a black screen with a red cursor in the upper left with my keyboard locked--that is, nothing happens when I start typing and I'm not getting any login info (or anything else for that matter) back from the server. So...progress?

In addition, I also tried adding "Sleep 5s" in the command line and checking the "Execute before connect" from the properties of the connection. Sadly, add that did was crash Terminals.
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM
On the General page, I entered my credentials including Password and checked "Save password. In SSH Options pane, I checked the Authentication Method radial button for Password. I successfully connected to a Unix server.

If someone has a way to do this without "Save password", please let me know because my preference is to not save my password.