This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

A couple of feature requests :)

Topics: User Forum
Nov 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I love you program, and I use it all day every day :-) Both at work and at home.

I have a few comments and questions tho...

1) Keeping aspect ratio on resized RDP if possible would be nice.

2) Having the possibility to choose RDP desktop resolution AND scale down to fit in window. Is this possible?

3) Sometimes when I have a bunch of connections going, I click a computer's name in the Favorite Toolbar because I've forgotten I've already connected, and then it spawns a new session. It would be nice to have a feature that simple will show the already connected computer when you do that.

4) I use RealVNC for some of my computers as well. Is there any way to make the VNC feature of Terminals work with RealVNC?

Cheers :)

Keep up the good work!

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Just a note that I too think Terminals is brilliant! This utility rocks, way better than Mstsc. I've been using it for a good few months now.

...And a +1 vote for scaling from *custom resolutions* to window size. The way it works when set to "Autoscale", it takes the current desktop resolution and forces those dimensions on the RDP session which is then scaled into the window. This is already way better than the MS RDP client. The problem is each different computer people may connect from, may have different resolutions which messes up carefully arranged windows in the target system.

I assume that scaling down from desktop res is the same effort as scaling down from a custom resolution, is that true from development perspective? The possibilities would then be endless: the client would then be able to display virtually any client resolution in a given window. This is useful for large screenshots, spreadsheets, screens with loads of windows and details (I need to watch dozens of controls for example).

People wouldn't have to buy humongous monitors just to test high resolutions! With scaling, they could view large resolution desktops on smaller monitors.

Terminals is already great as it is, many thanks if you can consider this feature. I haven't found any other software that comes close to achieving this.

And happy 2010 everyone!

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM
Edited Jan 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Terminals is great! I am just missing a couple of features to completely abandon Visionapp Remote Desktop 2009:

1) TSGW support - for me this is a very useful feature of the visionapp software and this is practically the only reason I would continue to use it.

2) Hyper-V's Virtual Machine Connection.

p. 3 from post 1 is something I'd suggest to think about, as it is somewhat annoying.

Otherwise, everything is great! Keep on and surprise us with v.2.0 with a new feature set soon :)

Thanks for the efforts!

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM
irios wrote:

1) Keeping aspect ratio on resized RDP if possible would be nice.

2) Having the possibility to choose RDP desktop resolution AND scale down to fit in window. Is this possible?

3) Sometimes when I have a bunch of connections going, I click a computer's name in the Favorite Toolbar because I've forgotten I've already connected, and then it spawns a new session. It would be nice to have a feature that simple will show the already connected computer when you do that.

I agree and add these:

4) soving the vRD import feature... I was able to use it! :-(

Thanks a lot!

Ciao, Giangi

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:11 AM

1) in the latest version 1.8c you can save default settings for whatever options you want.

2) have you tried using the fit to window option instead of autoscale?

3) this is a personal preference thing I think... personally when I use terminals and I try another connection I actually mean to make another connection so I would not like this changed currently.

4) I'm actually thinking it might be an idea to start working on using third party program plugins for some connection types. I like how vRD uses putty and vnc plugins and it is a much nicer interface than our current terminal view so this might be something we look at.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM
GodKratos wrote:

2) have you tried using the fit to window option instead of autoscale?

3) this is a personal preference thing I think... personally when I use terminals and I try another connection I actually mean to make another connection so I would not like this changed currently.

2) it's not the same thing... if you try on vRD (I have only used the free v1.5) it's easier to understand...

On my laptop the screen is 1280x800 so its vertical res is quite small when you have the OS toolbar and the pgm's toolbars/status bars/etc... the actuale space left for the remote desktop is much smaller. Having the options to "force" the remote resolution to at least 1024x768 is the minimum for many programs/windows to be able to see it completely but if you do it on Terminals then you do not see the complete screen since you have to use the scrolbars :-(

vRD, and others, solves this scaling the remote screen to the actual space available on the pgm window and keeping the aspect ratio!

3) easy solution... just add a config options to let the user decide which behaviour prefere! :-)

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

1) Being able to install a new release without having to first remove the old one would be a nice, but not essential, feature! :-)

At least let the installer remove the previous one by itself... :-)

2) I think is wrong (and not compliant with the Microsoft guidelines) to save the user's options, the credentials, the history and the favorites into the program folder!! :-(

The following files should be save into a Terminals' folder in %APPDATA%

Credentials.xml
History.xml
Terminals.config
ToolStrip.settings

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
GiangiRE wrote:

2) I think is wrong (and not compliant with the Microsoft guidelines) to save the user's options, the credentials, the history and the favorites into the program folder!! :-(

Completely agree! I would even suggest to keep them in Microsoft Vault (if possible).

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I've seen interesting article at Virtual PC Guy's blog about RDP connection to a Hyper-V virtual machine (not the guest OS) and the activex control to do it can be found here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ddc/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3833

Do you guys think that this might be implemented insted the Virtual Machine Connection from Hyper-V? Because this, with the ability to use TSGW, makes the possibility to connect to your servers from virtually anywhere - without VPN.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM

OK, I've updated the source in change 63860 to allow you to choose a desktop size when using the autoscale option.

This will set the actual desktop size to the size you specify and autoscale that view to fit your terminal window.

The problem with this is that you cannot autoscale the desktop to a larger size than what is specified. For example if you set the desktop size to 800x600 with autoscale on and your terminal window is actually 1280x1024 then the desktop will be in an 800x600 size square in the middle of the terminal window. So, there's two options available for how this is handled:

1. The desktop remains at the size of what is specified and shows inside a box on your screen
  2. The desktop size is only set to what is specified if the specified size is larger than the current window size

Currently I have gone with option 2 so have a look and see if it works for you like that and if the majority of people would prefer the other way it could be changed. (personally, I like how it is)

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM
mioiox wrote:

I've seen interesting article at Virtual PC Guy's blog about RDP connection to a Hyper-V virtual machine (not the guest OS) and the activex control to do it can be found here:

Do you guys think that this might be implemented insted the Virtual Machine Connection from Hyper-V? Because this, with the ability to use TSGW, makes the possibility to connect to your servers from virtually anywhere - without VPN.

That's basically the same control we already use for RDP connections and can be used to connect to the host machines in the same way as you connect to the guests.

I don't see what your problem is here?

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The autoscale resolution sounds brilliant! Can't wait to try this new function.

If it works well, I'll donate (first time in my life to a development project!).

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM
GodKratos wrote:
  1. The desktop remains at the size of what is specified and shows inside a box on your screen

I prefere solution 1: if I have forced a resolution there is probably a good reason so I prefere to have the desktop stay as I have "told" him to be... :-)

Eventually you may add a configuration option to let the end user decide which behaviour is best for him!! :-))

Thanks a lot for your good job!!!!

Ciao, Giangi

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM
GodKratos wrote:
mioiox wrote:

That's basically the same control we already use for RDP connections and can be used to connect to the host machines in the same way as you connect to the guests.

Excuse me?

My proposal was to implement the best of both the worlds, Virtual Machine Connection AND RDP (TSGW) - to connect to the virtual machines using RDP (not connect to the guest OS, but the VM itself, no matter what OS is running) and thus have the ability to use TSGW. Correct me if my understanding about this activex is wrong.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:37 AM
mioiox wrote:
GodKratos wrote:
mioiox wrote:

Excuse me?

My proposal was to implement the best of both the worlds, Virtual Machine Connection AND RDP (TSGW) - to connect to the virtual machines using RDP (not connect to the guest OS, but the VM itself, no matter what OS is running) and thus have the ability to use TSGW. Correct me if my understanding about this activex is wrong.

Sorry, I don't think I understand what your getting at. If you are using Hyper-V then the VM servers are Windows 2008 Servers correct?

If they are then you can just RDP to those servers in the same way that you RDP to the guest OSs of the VMs that are running on them....

At the moment I am trying to update the active X controls to support the latest RDP client versions anyway which will have TSGW support and probably fix whatever issue you are currently talking about.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Well, my understanding was that the idea of this particular activex is to be able to connect directly to the hyper-v virtual machines, but instead using RPC (or whatever protocol virtual machine connection (VMC) is using) it uses RDP. And I would like just to mention some issues with the scenario of RDP directly to the host:

1. Host is WS2008(R2) Core - I am not sure if you can start the VMC window from core installation?

or

2. You are installing inside the VM operating system without IS preinstalled (i.e. WS2003) - hyper-v cannot capture your mouse through RDP AND inside such an OS.

or

3. You are not able to connect to the host via RDP (for whatever reason).

Because all those three reasons, I hoped that there was a way to connect directly to the virtual machine (not the OS installed on it, but the child partition itself) using RDP, as that would allow the use of TSGW without the need of RDP to the host.

I suppose I just didn't get the idea of the activex at the beginning :)

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM
GodKratos wrote:

OK, I've updated the source in change 63860 to allow you to choose a desktop size when using the autoscale option.

This will set the actual desktop size to the size you specify and autoscale that view to fit your terminal window.

The problem with this is that you cannot autoscale the desktop to a larger size than what is specified. For example if you set the desktop size to 800x600 with autoscale on and your terminal window is actually 1280x1024 then the desktop will be in an 800x600 size square in the middle of the terminal window. So, there's two options available for how this is handled:

2. The desktop size is only set to what is specified if the specified size is larger than the current window size

Currently I have gone with option 2 so have a look and see if it works for you like that and if the majority of people would prefer the other way it could be changed. (personally, I like how it is)

I've just tested the 1.9 Beta release for the custom autoscaling. It works brilliantly, exactly what I expected! I can now take 4000x2000 screenshots of Google Maps screens, and generally test large screen resolutions without having to buy an expensive monitor! It also works well when someone has a projector with a low screen resolution (and poor scaling); if Terminals scales in better quality just RDP into localhost and project that image instead.

You wrote that if the actual monitor resolution is larger than what's set in custom autoscale, there are two choices: show the session in a small window in the middle of the screen, or discard the custom dimensions and use all useful desktop space within Terminals. Now that I've tried it, I thought of a third option: stick to the dimensions set by the user, and *up*scale that to fill the Terminals window! One possible problem with the current solution if that depending on the monitor you're using Terminals from, the session can still mess up the carefully arranged desktop space those times when Terminals discards the setting.

But I'm already happy with the new feature so I'm not even asking. I don't even know if it's possible to *up*scale e.g. a session preset to "800x600 Autoscale" to a larger resolution, which is what the third option would entail.

In any case thanks for such a swift solution!

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM

The new AutoScale feature it's still, in my opinion, not perfect... :-)

1. I run it on a laptop with resolution 1280x800
  2. I have selected a screen of 1024x768 http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7550/term001.jpg
  3. The remote desktop as been created in 1112x768 http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4338/term002.jpg

The way it works it's too "complicated"... :-)

The Desktop Size options should be like these:

1. Fit to windows
  2. Full screen
  3. a bunch of predefined sizes like the ones currently available, this will enable a suboption:
    1. Scaling: On or Off; On will scale the size to the current window dimension if size is greater or simply put the screen in a box in the middle, Off will add scroll bars if the remote screen is bigger than the window or, again, simply put the screen in a box in the middle
  4. Custom, this will enable a few suboptions:
    1. Width and Height as already done
    2. Scaling: On or Off; On will scale the size to the current window dimension if size is greater or simply put the screen in a box in the middle, Off will add scroll bars if the remote screen is bigger than the window or, again, simply put the screen in a box in the middle

To me the above seems more flexible! :-)

Ciao, Giangi

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM
GiangiRE wrote:

1) Being able to install a new release without having to first remove the old one would be a nice, but not essential, feature! :-)

Credentials.xml
History.xml
Terminals.config
ToolStrip.settings

What about these? Expecially point 2)

Ciao, Giangi

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM
GiangiRE wrote:

2. I have selected a screen of 1024x768 http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7550/term001.jpg
  3. The remote desktop as been created in 1112x768 http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4338/term002.jpg

The way it works it's too "complicated"... :-)

The Desktop Size options should be like these:

1. Fit to windows
  2. Full screen
  3. a bunch of predefined sizes like the ones currently available, this will enable a suboption:
    1. Scaling: On or Off; On will scale the size to the current window dimension if size is greater or simply put the screen in a box in the middle, Off will add scroll bars if the remote screen is bigger than the window or, again, simply put the screen in a box in the middle
  4. Custom, this will enable a few suboptions:
    1. Width and Height as already done
    2. Scaling: On or Off; On will scale the size to the current window dimension if size is greater or simply put the screen in a box in the middle, Off will add scroll bars if the remote screen is bigger than the window or, again, simply put the screen in a box in the middle

To me the above seems more flexible! :-)

Ciao, Giangi

Not sure why your screen would come out as 1112x768 as both your screen dimensions are larger it should fit to the window size.
You must have the program open in a window that is not using the full monitor height?

As to the rest of the options... that's not a bad idea. We could take the auto scale option out of the desktop size combo box and have it as a check box option separate to the drop down.
That way it can take effect no matter which option you choose and would work better using the auto scale to specfic size only method instead of only if the size is bigger than your screen.

rubinhood wrote:
I don't even know if it's possible to *up*scale e.g. a session preset to "800x600 Autoscale" to a larger resolution, which is what the third option would entail.

It's not. As I said, if the size sepcified is smaller than the window size it will only show in a box inside the window.

GiangiRE wrote:
GiangiRE wrote:

Credentials.xml
History.xml
Terminals.config
ToolStrip.settings

What about these? Expecially point 2)

Ciao, Giangi

1) You don't have to remove the old install.... Although, I've never actually used the installer myself, if you use the zip file, just extract it into your existing install folder and it should work just fine.

2) I'm not sure how this is set up but I think Rob said if you have a master password set it will use the program directory to save settings, if not it goes in the appdata folder.
Haven't looked into this myself.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I'd say having a large border would be the more deterministic behavior. Users wouldn't really understand why the dimensions they specified are being ignored when they use Terminals from a larger than usual screen!

Great work either way!

GodKratos wrote:rubinhood wrote:
I don't even know if it's possible to *up*scale e.g. a session preset to "800x600 Autoscale" to a larger resolution, which is what the third option would entail.

It's not. As I said, if the size sepcified is smaller than the window size it will only show in a box inside the window.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM
GodKratos wrote:
GiangiRE wrote:

Not sure why your screen would come out as 1112x768 as both your screen dimensions are larger it should fit to the window size.
You must have the program open in a window that is not using the full monitor height? 

I'm not sure to have understood correctly (...actually English is not my mother-language! :-)

I cannot test this out right now since I'm replying from home while the test was done in the office... anyway I am almost sure that I have maximized the Terminals' window using the Maximize gadget, I guess this means I was using the full monitor height?

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM
GodKratos wrote:
GiangiRE wrote:
GiangiRE wrote:

Credentials.xml
History.xml
Terminals.config
ToolStrip.settings

1) You don't have to remove the old install.... Although, I've never actually used the installer myself, if you use the zip file, just extract it into your existing install folder and it should work just fine.

2) I'm not sure how this is set up but I think Rob said if you have a master password set it will use the program directory to save settings, if not it goes in the appdata folder.
Haven't looked into this myself.

1) using the installer is more simple... :-) I understand that the zip file is not complaining but give it a try and the installer won't upgrade an existing version... maybe is just a matter of a wrong option selected at installer compiling time! :-))

2) please give it a try... I'm not using a master password and the settings are into the program folder... :-( And even when using a master password this is still not privacy compliant... :-) Personal data must not be saved into the program folder... what about if you have to migrate from one computer to another? The only way to carry on your settings is to have everything into your profile! :-)

I do not think this is a big change on the source... :-))

Ciao, Giangi

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM
GodKratos wrote:
GiangiRE wrote:

I have just tried again and I think there is a bug into the pgm logic :-)

Try to expand the Favorites toolbar so that it's about half of your screen, open a remote desktop with a size bigger than your current disply and the remote will be created at the requested size but the aspect ratio is not respected! http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2338/immaginepw.jpg

Ciao, Giangi

May 15, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Just a note that I've been testing Terminals 1.9beta since February and it's great. It's been stable (for the functions I use it anyway). I didn't notice any reliability issues compared to the previous final release.

Speaking from experience, the custom scaling feature is promising, only I recommend the *other* implementation where the supplied resolution is respected even when the window is larger. This way, carefully arranged sets of windows wouldn't get messed up anymore just because someone connects from a computer with a larger monitor.

The quality of the scaling is good and fast enough for all reasonable tasks you may want to do over a remote connection. Kudos GodKratos!

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Sorry to bump this old thread but even with Beta3 (actually not the public one but a versione I have received from jirkapok, build 09/11/2011, to the the password issue) the remote size logic has something wrong...

I have all my remote connections saved with Auto Scale selected and 1024x768 as dimensions because that is the minimum size I need to have on remote connections.

I'm using a laptop with screen 1280x800 connected, when I'm in the office, to a secondary monitory which is 1280x1024; I keep Terminals open on the secondary monitor and the remote windows are correctly resized to a resolution bigger that the one saved.

Sometimes I travel and obviously without the secondary monitor :-) so I must keep Terminals on the laptop's screen, well in this case the remote session is resized to 1088x646 while I was expecting to have it 1024x768 but scaled down to the window's size! :-(

I guess that's because the width is still bigger that the one saved into the connection. If this is the case I think is better to scale down the remote session when at least one of the remote size is smaller that the saved one, in the above case 646 is smaller than 768 so the remote resolution had to be forced to 1024x768 but scaled down (aspect ratio respected!!) to the available window size 1088x646!

CIao, Giangi

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Here you are a more "current" example... please tell me why the remote desktop (is a Win7 Enterprise SP1) is not at the selected size! :-(

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3336/greenshot20120411163349.jpg

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Aha, thats the missing conversion, you attached to the bug nr. 31776.

Long time, there are questions to this topic, definitely we have to clarify the current implementation.

May 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I also have aspect issues

I have this desktop setup http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1496/imglayout.png

that the new window always opens in monitor #1. Initally looks like this. http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/120/initialsettings.png

I've tried all manner of width values nothing differs. I've tried fit to window too but it will not keep the height

but resize it and it keeps the monitor #`1 aspect ratio http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8717/resizedr.png

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM
jirkapok wrote:
Aha, thats the missing conversion, you attached to the bug nr. 31776. Long time, there are questions to this topic, definitely we have to clarify the current implementation.
I have just updated that item https://terminals.codeplex.com/workitem/31776 because even on v3.4 nothing has changed...
Jul 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I have updated again item https://terminals.codeplex.com/workitem/31776 because on v3.5 still nothing has changed...
May 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Looks like even on v3.6 nothing has changed here...
May 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM
Yes, because there is not enough development man power on this project.
I do my best, but the number of issues in the work items list is growing...