I noticed today while troubleshooting an issue using Wireshark that if you close the Networking Tools tab while an active ping is running, then the ping process does not stop and the only only apparent method to end it is to exit the Terminals application.
I believe the expected behavior of closing the Networking Tools tab should be to terminate the Ping process.
Steps to reproduce:
- Start a packet capture using Wireshark or similar tool, perferably filter to IP of host you intend to ping.
- In Terminals, start a Ping of the host.
- Confirm that Wireshark is seeing ICMP packets.
- Without stopping the ping, close the Networking Tools tab.
- In Wireshark, the ICMP packets continue between hosts.