This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Permission to install and run

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I've tried to install & run the application as regular account, without success.

It ask for administator password to do "changes in the computer",  after I type the administrator password, the installation finished,

but when I try to run the application, it keep prompt for administrator user name & password, to do "changes in the computer" again.

Even if I type again the password, and the application start and work correctly, after exit & start again the application, it ask again for administrator password.

I'm using terminals 1.9a under Windows 7 32bit.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Moshe

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM
mosheh wrote:

Even if I type again the password, and the application start and work correctly, after exit & start again the application, it ask again for administrator password.

I'm using terminals 1.9a under Windows 7 32bit.

I guess because Terminals is writing into the program's folder instead of %APPDATA% (as I ahve already wrote in the past :-) Starting with Vista such operations are "deprecated" and if UAC is active are denied even if the account used IS member of the local Administrators group.... Try starting the application with "Run as Administrator" from the contextual menu, or switch off UAC until the program will stop writing data into the program folder... :-( Ciao, Giangi
Oct 5, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Is there any update on this situation? I am still having the problem of asking for elevation on launch.... Windows 7 x64 here.. and the program isn't even installed into Program Files; I've placed it in my User Folder to try and avoid issues there...

One step away from being the best VNC app for Windows, IMHO.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

If you (or anyone else) is willing to test an unoffical and unsupported  build of terminals you can download it at https://14cmd.s3.amazonaws.com/BetaTerminals.zip?AWSAccessKeyId=0R5PHV09FXGZGJJ0YH82&Expires=1293753584&Signature=G9DwG2EZau75F3JQd5Wte%2BbEl3w%3D (or http://goo.gl/c4oI )

This build should not be marked as requiring admin rights (but it still writes to its installation folder so can't be installed to program files).

It also includes some other changes such as CredSSPSupport/NLA.

Please read the readme.txt before installing and take the usual precautions when using beta software.

Feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Beta build fixed this problem.  Any chance of getting it as a zip file rather than MSI?  I keep Terminals in my Live Mesh so its available on all my machines and I need it in non-installer format to do so.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM

> Any chance of getting it as a zip file

Try  https://14cmd.s3.amazonaws.com/BetaTerminals2.zip?AWSAccessKeyId=0R5PHV09FXGZGJJ0YH82&Expires=1293753586&Signature=1P6adDpDuyNtEEcoi0Swbb%2F4vIA%3D or http://goo.gl/Wtr5

The zip file contains the setup component as well, so you can delete the embedded msi file if you don't want it.

Also note, the terminals setup program registers the trm file extension to open them with terminals, which won't work if you don't run the installer. (I can't ever recalling seeing any trm files so that doesn't bother me)

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I created an account just to let you know that you absolutely made my day. Terminals in Admin mode made it such that I couldn't easily get over to another monitor using Synergy. It was driving me nuts and I was about to try to hack around this myself.

Luckily I happened to look here today and sgmoore has made me more happy than anything else today.

Thanks again!

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I also like my terminals 'deadminified'. I can use the Desktop Share feature again. Kinda liked that drag and drop simplicity - very handy when you have multiple monitors (does not work when your file explorer is not running using elevated privileges).

If the only reason behind requiring elevated privileges is to put terminals in %programfiles% then it should be dropped. MS kinda implemented this access restriction for a reason. Hope it will get "fixed" in next release. Newer hurts to mention this again - terminals is an awesome program.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Yes I too would like to Run terminals without elevating privilages. I tried to use Microsoft's application compatibility toolkit to get around this issue, but to no avail.  I am running windows 7 X64 Pro.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

@sgmoore: I noticed, that there is not applied patch by you. But think if it solves the UAC problem, we have to apply it. I understand, that you also made some other extensions. Is it possible, that you merge your version and send me updated patch, which i can apply to current state? Niels has picked up the UAC Task, but there is no result yet and i don't want to do the work twice. My proposal would be to move the file to the user profile by default and let user to choose "potable version" as an option.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM

@jirkapok: I re-uploaded my patch. Most of the other things I have done have already been accepted (and the other change I am working on isn't ready), so this patch is basically the same as my original patch, except diff-ed against the latest build.  

As you can see from the patch, this was a quick hack and the actual code to remove the admin requirement was a simple amendment to app.manifest.  The rest of the code was simply trying to minimise the problems caused by this change. 

Note that there some things that will not work in non-admin mode, which is why I opted for the cautious approach of still defaulting the run as admin, but provide a way around it for those who really want it, which involves installing or unzipping to a folder which isn't protected by UAC and running a different shortcut.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

@jirkapok . The Beta 3 refresh and the latest source code seems to have applied most of these changes. However Terminals/Properties/app.manifest has not changed and hence terminals.exe still runs as administrator.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I would be completely satisfied if either of the possibilities below worked as described:

Just my 2 cents:

Best Scenario:  Regardless of where the files are saved, With UAC in its default setting, Go into the properties of terminal.exe compatibility tab, Choose Run as Administrator. 

If you can Run terminals at that point without a elevation prompt on Windows x64 I would consider the issue fixed for 95 percent of those users that the program terminals.

Not as bad... but still not ideal:

Same as above, but with UAC relaxed by one position.

In the above sceanarios Terminals will still run as an Administrator, just not as an "elevated"? administrator.

Would this allow the funtionality that you were discussing previously to be enabled, or does that have more to do with writing files to the protected areas of the OS?  One last thought, I believe the idea of storing the configuration info in the user profile is a good idea.

After re-reading another users comments I would like to add, that I believe that if you place the configuration files as suggested in the user profile and allow the user to run the program with reduced funtionality when not using the "run as administrator" thi may also be acceptable, with the intention of the program to have full funtionality when "run as a administrator" option is choosen or enabled.  This suggestion may serve both positions and requests.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM

@sgmoore: if you want help more, i think it would be better to ask Rob for developer privileges.
Some one has to test the Terminals launcher. Is it possible to write some user documentation, how to use it?