This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How far we are from next release?

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM

People are asking me more and more, when we plan to publish next release. Please be patient, we are working on it. And currently the focus is to bring as much as stable version. But until there will be acceptable number of unresolved bugs, we don't want to release new version. If it isn't a good argument for you, than you directly have to ask Rob. So please write him and ask him, maybe if will motivate him.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Ive seen some of the requests as well.  What I would like to see is all of the items scheduled for 2.0 RTM get either pushed out or solved.  Once we get those items down to 0 we can do the release.  I would actually recommend that simply dont shift everything out of scope, but make a concerted effort to be inclusive, but not overly..  Know what I mean?  There are only 35 issues and if we can nail them down in the next month I would love to push a release out.

We could pick a date, and each of us could put some concentrated effort in to nail down those bugs, then produce an QA build...

What do you think?

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Rob, did your read the issues? Did you check how many were corrected during the summer? I think most of opened issues need different server configurations in the test lab and definitely it will take a long time to prepare (ssh encoding and terminal type, single sign on, proxy, TS gateway etc.). And also new issues are coming. Reach 0 is a nice dream, but i think, that to talk about 20 or something like this is more real. Maybe you can think about next "community preview", beta or RC build to inform the people, that current state isn't stable enough.
Anyway i will do my best to burn  as much as tasks possible to improve the software quality.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

all of bugs i've found marked as fixed in source code. so maybe it's not so bad idea to make a next release.

and by the way i don't think we ever reach 0 bugs, not because you are bad programmers, but because there is no limit in progress :)

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I hear you guys loud and clear.

I will download the bits and prep a V2 alpha for release.  From there we all will need to dogfood the alpha and iron out issues as they come in.

Maybe we should shoot for 1 month of dogfooding?  Dec 1 release?  Just in time for christmas?

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Published!

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM

thank you: will try )

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Just installed, so far so good! :-)

Just a couple of things...

• The "Organize Favorites" window can be resized but the internal columns are not "redistributed" too...
    • the new window size is not saved...
  • The "Credential Manager" window cannot be resized
  • The "Untagged" Favorites are now at the top of the list, it was following the alpha sorting of the tagged ones...
    • Actually this can be a good feature! :-)

Ciao, Giangi

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Still getting prompted with UAC upon launch ("Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?").  Terminals resides inside of my Documents folder.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Awesome work!

However the favorites menu is now empty, and does not populate with the servers. However clicking organize favorites reveals all my saved servers.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Suddendly the Favorite have lost the credentials. But they are into the credential manager! Somehow I was able to reconnect but I cannot reproduce it, I was "Palying" with the options to hide/show the Favorite Pane to "gain" space on the terminal window...

The log is full of these:

INFO  2011-11-03 14:01:32,828   265ms Terminals              Main               - Terminals 2.0 Alpha started
INFO  2011-11-03 14:01:33,046   483ms Terminals              TryLoadHistory     - Loading History from: History.xml
INFO  2011-11-03 14:01:33,343   780ms Terminals              TryLoadHistory     - Done Loading History
INFO  2011-11-03 14:01:33,343   780ms Terminals              LoadHistory        - Load History Duration:294ms
ERROR 2011-11-03 14:01:43,062 10499ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Parametro non corretto.

in System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)
   in Terminals.Functions.DecryptByEmptyKey(String encryptedPassword)
   in Terminals.Functions.DecryptPassword(String encryptedPassword, String keyMaterial)
ERROR 2011-11-03 14:01:43,062 10499ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

in System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)
   in Terminals.Functions.DecryptPassword(String encryptedPassword, String keyMaterial)
ERROR 2011-11-03 14:01:43,077 10514ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

ERROR 2011-11-03 14:01:43,077 10514ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

ERROR 2011-11-03 14:02:03,405 30841ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

ERROR 2011-11-03 14:02:03,405 30841ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

ERROR 2011-11-03 14:02:03,420 30857ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

ERROR 2011-11-03 14:02:03,420 30857ms Terminals              DecryptPassword    - Error Decrypting Password

INFO  2011-11-03 14:02:49,754 77190ms Terminals              Main               - Terminals 2.0 Alpha stopped

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Ok, it seems that the credentials.xml file has been messed up (and I remember even a pre v2 version was doind the same)

Here you are an example for one credential entry (ehm... trust me on the password... I had to mask it a bit; but the chars->stars replacement was done one-by-one :-) currently into the file

<CredentialSet>
    <Name>CalzolariG</Name>
    <Username>CalzolariG</Username>
    <Domain>m****r</Domain>
    <Password>MhGk****************1Q==</Password>
  </CredentialSet>

Here you are the same entry from my backup, note how the Password is much longer!!

<CredentialSet>
    <Name>CalzolariG</Name>
    <Domain>m****r</Domain>
    <Username>CalzolariG</Username>
    <Password>AQAA********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************Kg==</Password>
  </CredentialSet>

After having replaced the current, messed up, credentials.xml file with the one from the backup I was able to login again! :-)
...and the "Decription errors" into the log disappeared!!!
Ciao, Giangi
Addendum... it DID it again!!!!!!!
But now I can reproduce it: just enable/disable the favorites panel and the credentials.xml will be screwed up!!!
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM

@Rob: Is it possible to fix the published packages, because they aren't up to date? The zip package contains build created on 11/01/2011 13:53. At that time the version was marked as Alpha and the Master password fix wasn't complete.
I marked the version to publish with label. The build should be based on change set 93936. You assigned correct change set number on published page, but the output isn't build from that version.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Just updated.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Updated to Beta 3, however the fav menu is still not working properly. Only lists the "Terminal News", does not list all my servers like it used to.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM

@echoDreamz Did you back up your connections?  Have you tried to import them into the app?

They *should* be automatically imported...

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I did back them up, I tried going from a brand new setup, and importing my connections, but the Favorites menu is empty (minus the terminals news, organize favorites and organize favorites toolbar).

I even installed a fresh copy, and tried adding back all my servers one by one, the fav menu is still empty.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

AHH I see. The favorites menu requires tags, if the fav item has no tag, it does not display.

EDIT: Is it possible to change the icon? The new icon is really not that clean looking (nor was the previous version).

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Hi, the issue with the Untagged items in menu is already reported and now also fixed. :-)

If you want to change the connection icon, there is possibility to choose an image in connection options. If you want to replace the main application icon, you have to create new Windows shortcut and select another one in its properties.

If you don't like the new Art work, ask Rob. ;-)

@All: There is corrected build published by Rob, which should fix the stored credentials passwords issue. Please let me know if it helped or not.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I love the new icon!!!   

Seriously...now that I see it in the product & in the header I'm liking it less and less every day.

Ill go back and talk with my designer..throw the challenge down!!

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM

@Rob: by the way, is it possible, that you write some notes into the developer documentation, about how the builds configurations are organized, who builds are identified and which configuration do you use?
Which steps do you take to publish setup etc.
Because now i am not testing the setup output, only the executable, which i think isn't topic to test after each checkin, but it can be helpful for people, who build their own customized setups.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Still having an issue. If it is left open for sometime or minimized too long, I have to close it before I can open additional RDP tabs...

ERROR 2011-11-04 17:15:06,714 4802714ms Terminals              ChangeDesktopSize  - Error trying to set the desktop dimensions
Property set of 'DesktopWidth' cannot be invoked at this time.
INFO  2011-11-04 17:15:06,720 4802720ms Terminals              Connect            - There was an exception setting an RDP Value.
Property set of 'ColorDepth' cannot be invoked at this time.
FATAL 2011-11-04 17:15:06,721 4802721ms Terminals              Connect            - Connecting to RDP
Method 'Connect' cannot be invoked at this time.
ERROR 2011-11-04 17:15:11,404 4807404ms Terminals              UpdateControls     - Screen properties not available for RDP
Property get of 'FullScreen' cannot be invoked at this time.
ERROR 2011-11-04 17:15:11,428 4807428ms Terminals              SetGrabInput       - Screen properties not available for RDP
Property set of 'FullScreen' cannot be invoked at this time.
ERROR 2011-11-04 17:15:11,428 4807428ms Terminals              TryConnectTabPage  - Error Creating A Terminal Tab
Property get of 'Connected' cannot be invoked at this time.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM
jirkapok wrote:

@All: There is corrected build published by Rob, which should fix the stored credentials passwords issue. Please let me know if it helped or not.

No, Beta3 has the same error: enabling/disabling the Favorites Panel into the Options will screw up the credentials.xml :-(

CIao, Giangi

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I checked in fix for passwords manipulation.  The passwords manipulation is key feature, and even i made detailed tests, the fix present in Beta 3 wasn't complete.

If there is someone else, who is able to test this fix on build based on latest source code?

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:32 AM
jirkapok wrote:

If there is someone else, who is able to test this fix on build based on latest source code?

If you can give me the EXE I'll be more than happy to test it!

Ciao, Giangi

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I must say I am very pleased with this new version. So far it has been very stable (minus the above issue I described). Good work guys!

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM

FYI, if you havnt noticed, we have CI/Team City setup and two builds are available after each code commit:

Latest Setup and Deployable Bits from Source (use with caution!)