This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Feature Request: Quick Connect without making a New Connection

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM
When you hover over the down arrow in the "Connect To" text box, it says that if you enter an IP or Name and hit tab then enter, it will connect (also says it will make a new connection if one doesn't exist).

It doesn't do this for me. It'd be nice if you didn't have to create a new connection and fill out a bunch of info before being able to RDP to a machine one off that you don't want as a favorite.

mRemote handled this pretty well - it would give you a list of protocols at the bottom when making a connection to something not defined (defaulting to RDP).
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM
There definitely isn't any code for opening a connection without entering a favorite first. However, the phrase is confusing if there was no intent to have this functionality.

"Type here the stored connection favorite name and press Enter to quickly connect to
or type server name or IP address and press Enter to create new Favorite
or press Tab and then Enter to immediately connect to."

My preference is that typing in a connection in the quick connect box should be for opening a connection without requiring that a favorite be created. We are already working on creating a search bar to filter the favorites list so the quick connect search feature will be kind of redundant when that is implemented. If we do make this change I recommend they be deployed together with some explanation.
Sep 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I have relevant problem. When working on the Find feature i noticed, that there are two places, where we search for favorites and i am not sure, how they should behave:
  • ComboBox on standard panel: currently searches for favorite names, is able directly connect to them
  • Quick connect dialog: does the same, like in previous user control, bu is accessible also from system tray context menu and using short cut key
My opinion is, they should be used in meaning of the required missing feature to connect to server not stored in favorites

What do you think should be expected behavior of this use cases?