This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Serial Port Support Would Really Round out this Project

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 6, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Since most of my time is spent using PuTTY and RealVNC, I'm used to having my Telnet, SSH and Serial port comms from PuTTY and RealVNC for VNC.  If Terminals added Serial port (COM1, COM2, TTY, etc) support, it would be a nice alternative to Putty/RealVNC.  No doubt about it, when our Sun servers are "unreachable" the only way to get in is through out-of-band comms.  When our router or switch needs to be upgraded or brought on-line, or a Sun or NetApp SAN needs to be programmed, it's often the serial option that is used to perform the initial programming.

I think having a Serial port / RS-232 / TTY option would really round out the Terminals project.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Same here at the moment we are using Procomm Plus (Not supported anymore since 2002) and also Putty. Have most equipment hooked up with converters from serial to Ehternet but not all will work that way, so having the possibility to emulate terminals and also go through raw serial port would be very helpful.