Export favorites with passwords

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I am rebuilding my machine and NEED to transfer the user names and passwords that have been stored within the terminals application. Can this be accomplished?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM

All you need to do is take a copy of the terminals.config file from your current install folder.

This file has all your connections/favorites saved in it with the passwords stored in encrypted format.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM

That only transferred the list of favorites. When I actually attempt to connect I am still prompted for credentials. I am going from one machine to another. The machines are NOT identical. I suspect that whatever method of encryption used has some sort of hooks into the machine type or some other characteristic specific to each machine that will not allow the passwords to be used.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Anthony Concialdi

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:40 PM

If you set a master password you should be able to copy it ok.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Correct...

IIRC the original method for terminals to save its credentials used something called DPAPI..which stored the credentials into some hidden area and locked them down to the current user on that current machine.

I personally run Terminals from a pen drive, thus the DPAPI method was useless for me. 

So it works in two modes, if you do NOT set a password you get DPAPI storage, if you do set it you get .config file storage.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I am using Terminals 1.0

I do not see any options for setting a master password. Is there an upgrade option that will allow me to transfer all of my connections with passwords to the secondary machine?

Thanks,

Anthony

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Yikes!  Im willing to be that only used DPAPI for storage, which means only that app can get at the data; and there is no option for export. 

Sorry!