This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Wish I could import exported favorites

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM

We have several admins, and it'd be nice to for each admin to be able to export the servers in his or her area.

This way, admins could work as a team to keep their server list up to date.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

There isn't an easy way other than copying the specific section of xml from the Terminals.config file in the Program Files/Terminals folder.  I actually created my initial list from a spreadsheet list of servers and just generated the necessary xml. You could also copy the entire Terminals.Config depending on the situation.  It would be nice to have a section in there that can point to an external file for the server list, like a UNC path.  Pull this file down locally so performance is still good. 

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I have written a VBScript to import them and their tags. Currently, it doesn't rebuild the TAGS in the XML file.

My goal is for my utility is to shutdown terminals, update the xml file, then relaunch it.

I'll share when it's done, maybe it'll help someone else.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I'd be interested in that script! I have a lot of servers & tags.  Terminals needs a better way to edit multiple at a time.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Just drag and drop the xml file into the Favorites pane.  Works fine. 

Gotta be the best free Remote Desktops app I've ever come across.

Dead useful for local intranet pages too, it is practically the core of my helpdesk tools

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Maybe this Issue is interesting for you

http://terminals.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=24833

I hope that this is featured in one of the next releases :)

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I usually have had good luck copying the terminals.config file to the same directory as the terminals.exe.  I even use this when I upgrade so my settings follow me.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

import from xml would help allot.

To manually add all hosts is a pain and also can't import them from AD since it's remote servers.

And don't have the knowledge to make a vb script to convert the xml file to a terminals.config file.

Did try to just copy paste the <favorite> section but that was a huge "no go"..:(
All that does is kill the entire config file.:(

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I'm sure I put a post on about this already.

All you need to do is drag and drop the xml file into the favourites pane.  Works everytime for me.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Tried that after reading this thread and all I get is a crossed over circle as cursor, letting me know it don't work.

No change if i take the exported file or a updated one I've edited.

P.s I am running v1.9 beta, dunno if that could be the problem?

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM

All you need is the <favorites></favorites> section.  I use Excel (Settings > Popular > Shop Developer Tab in Toolbar). I think I created an XML file with just that section in it, Excel with read it and create a schema based on that. Then you can use the Developer tab to map the schema to rows/columns of settings. Once it's mapped, you can choose to Export it to XML which I copy into the Terminals.config

I use it as my primary to make settings to connections, tags, etc. works well for me. I can send you, or anyone for that matter the Excel file I use, just send me your email address.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Thanks for helping out guys..

tsquillario, I've PM:ed you the address..

Even if I can get this to work I think it would be nice to be able to export the settings to xml (or some other format), edit the file in excel (or some other program and then import it back in terminals.:)

Not saying it would be easy to implement, but still a nice feature.:)

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I'm running 1.8c and the previous version 1.8b had no problem dragging and dropping.  I'm running XP SP3.

You dropping into the Favourites Tab pane (lefthand side) , it appears not to work at first and then suddenly it populates the pane.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Well, I've tried to do it in 1.8c now and it didn't work at all..:(

I should perhaps mention that I am running on a windows 7 x64 machine.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Well that's just asking for trouble.

XP all the way, I've even downgraded my home PC to XP because Vista was driving me nuts.

Who needs extra 32-bits anyway ;)

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Thank you all for the great tip! Drag and drop of exported favorites xml works indeed!

Few gotches though.

You must drop the xml file on Favorites pane on the right side of the program.

If you are using Windows 7/Vista with User Access Control (UAC), you will get "not allowed" cursor when you try to drag the xml file. That is because Terminals is running as Administrator and Windows Explorer is running in normal user priviledges. Possible workaround is to start Notepad under Run As Administrator, click File/Open and drag the exported favorites xml file to the Favorites pane.

Congrats for the 1.9 release! It has been long awaited one. Keep up the amazing work!

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM

for anyone experiencing problems in vista/7, if you turn the UAC completely off you are able to drag and drop the xml file to the favorites pane.  After this is completed you can turn UAC back on.

UAC - control panel>user accounts>user access control

Great software! Makes my life 20x easier!

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:18 PM

thx @martinkulov - the notepad trick worked for me (W7 32-bit)...

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:28 PM

So, you don't need turn UAC off, rebooting, drag&drop your export.xml to Terminals Favorites panel, turn UAC on and rebooting again. Just run as administrator any file manager with drag&drop support and drag file directly to Terminals/Favorites.

Tested on Win7x64 - all right.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM
sd4 wrote:

Just drag and drop the xml file into the Favorites pane.  Works fine.

This didn't even come close to working, at least not in 2.0 RC 1. Not even running explorer as admin, etc.

F---ing frustrating. I'm gonna have to turn UAC off, shut down all my work, reboot, and try that route.

I really have to get this working. Gotta say, I really like the software, but this part is lousy. There should just be an IMPORT menu item to match the EXPORT. Orthogonality rules.

UPDATE: The temporary suspension of UAC solved the problem. However, it sucks that I had to do that.

Unrelated: When I edit comments in this forum with Firefox, no cursor appears. I can't tell where I'm editing until I start typing.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Favorites pane is shown using View/Favorites. This is in case you try to drop the file in the Organize Favories list. I often do this mistake myself.
Martin Kulov

2011/3/2 BrBill <notifications@codeplex.com>

sd4 wrote:

Just drag and drop the xml file into the Favorites pane. Works fine.

This didn't even come close to working, at least not in 2.0 RC 1. Not even running explorer as admin, etc.

F---ing frustrating. I'm gonna have to turn UAC off, shut down all my work, reboot, and try that route.

I really have to get this working. Gotta say, I really like the software, but this part is lousy. There should just be an IMPORT menu item to match the EXPORT. Orthogonality rules.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Terminals@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Terminals@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:05 AM

OK 2 years later and it still does not work right?!

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I've given up on Terminals a while ago and use Remote Desktop Manager these days. Use the Enterprise trial to organize all your sessions then when the trial expires you can use the free version for as long as you like.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Concerning all the import stuff... i can tel you stories about it, even if i am new on Terminals. But to quiet down this discussion, here is list of changes already prepared for RC2:

- File menu contains Import/Export how expected

- New export possible into .rdp

- Organize favorites allows you to manage connections using sorting and multi select tested on more than 1000 favorites

- The import doesn't overwrite existing connections

- The import is definitely faster then before

Check the latest check-ins in source code.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I am a new user to terminals and this is the first thing that I tried doing.

win7 x86 enterprise edition.

this did not work.

I would also like import from csv or import from rts format.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Now we are concentrating to make current features stable. Rts import is planed for next release. For your info: pending task concerning imports are: correct VRD import and implement RTS import. All other imports and exports should work properly. There is also a documentation created about the supported file formats:

http://terminals.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Organize%20favorites&referringTitle=User%20documentation