This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SSH connection - RSA Key?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to terminals.  I generally use putty for my ssh client and wanted to try the ssh feature in the terminals client.  I'm using version 1.8c.  When I try to connect I just get a generic "unable to connect, check the log", but find no log file.  I know when I connect for the first time to one of my linux servers from Putty, it asks me about saving the key for that server.  Is there something special that I'm missing in order to generate a key or am I chasing my tail on that?  I've tried to generate a key and save it off, but no dice.

I could just be dumb, too.  Any ideas?

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM

emcque,

I believe at the present time only the public key login will work with Terminals.  Keyboard Interactive and Password Prompt both failed for me in version 1.8c.  When making a new connection for SSH, put in the proper protocol (SSH) and other info like connection names, etc. then go to the SSH tab and click on the "New" button to generate a public key.  After you generate "randomness" with the mouse, the public key value should appear in the key box.  Choose "Save" to give it a unique key name and the connection dialog will now be back in focus.

Note: the higher bit value settings take longer to generate so keep moving your mouse...it will eventually show up.  The progress bar for the randomness does not work right as far as feedback goes on the randomness generation.

Click the "Copy" button the transfer the key value to your buffer.  You'll need to open another SSH connection to paste the key in your buffer to the authorized_keys file in the .ssh folder of your target ssh server.  If the keyboard interactive or password prompt would work, you could do this all in terminals but you still need Putty to make this work.  :-)

Hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Thanks for putting me on the path.  I got this to work.  It was most helpful to also add the Terminals.log4net.config information in so I could get the log files to tell me precisely what it didn't like.  I'm all set now.

Thanks again!